Author: changabula

What the British did to India   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-19 17:10:32 |Display all floors
Conversion of Hindus to Christianity

Many influential British officials felt that the conversion of Hindus to Christianity would make them readily accept British rule.

The most influential of these was Thomas Babbington Macaulay who introduced the English education system in India. He made no secret of his goal of conversion of India to Christianity. In 1836, while serving as chairman of the Education Board in India, he enthusiastically wrote his father:

"Our English schools are flourishing wonderfully. The effect of this education on the Hindus is prodigious. ...... It is my belief that if our plans of education are followed up, there will not be a single idolator [Hindu] among the respectable classes in Bengal thirty years hence. And this will be effected without any efforts to proselytise, without the smallest interference with religious liberty, by natural operation of knowledge and reflection. I heartily rejoice in the project."

So religious conversion and colonialism were to go hand in hand. Christian missions always supported the colonial government, with missionaries working hand in glove with the British government. They supported the Jallianwallah Bagh Massacre also, even though many Englishmen were ashamed of it. In a real sense Christian missions were not religious organizations at all but an unofficial arm of the British Administration.

It was part of the Macaulayite education program to distort Indian history to serve British colonial and Christian missionary interest. To do this, he employed a German Vedic scholar now famous as Friedrich Max M黮ler. Macaulay used his influence with the East India Company to find funds for Max M黮ler's translation of the Rigveda. There can be no doubt at all regarding Max M黮ler's commitment to the conversion of Indians to Christianity. Writing to his wife in 1866 Max M黮ler himself explained his purpose:

"It [the Rigveda] is the root of their religion [Hinduism] and to show them what the root is, I feel sure, is the only way of uprooting all that has sprung from it during the last three thousand years."

Two years later he also wrote the Duke of Argyle, then acting Secretary of State for India:

"The ancient religion of India is doomed. And if Christianity does not take its place, whose fault will it be?" !

His job was to uproot Hinduism by giving a negative version of the Vedas!

1. http://www.hindunet.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=71936&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Copy code

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-2-19 05:15 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 18:56:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 19:02:41 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-20 03:18:48 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-20 04:12:33 |Display all floors

And yet here we are still

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-20 06:53:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 18-2-2007 07:37 PM
Do you have a recognition problem?

I never said that you mentioned America, but that is where you live and therefore your dislike of the West was being addressed.

I recognise a contortionist when I see one. You manage to post with your head shoved up your ar$e - a feat you learned from mengzhi, changabula or jetsam?

Do let me know if this is all too complex for you.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-20 07:34:25 |Display all floors
"Railways? To take the loot out as fast as possible.
Of course how else to maintain an empire? Yet also with every incursion there is a flip side, with the railway system, the notion of a nation, of a national identity could be born."

Interesting... could this possibly be compared to the new railroad into Tibet?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.