Views: 1623|Replies: 6

To rent or to buy, which do you prefer? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-7-7 10:39:53 |Display all floors
(Global Times) As using second-hand products has never popular in China, would people accept the idea of renting clothes? Metropolitan hit the streets to interview locals and foreigners about their thoughts on this new business model. To rent or to buy, which do you prefer?

Zhang Photo: Wei Xi/GT

Zhang, female, China

I have not heard about it before. I will have a look at it first, but I don't think I have much interest renting from it. My biggest concern is whether the rented clothes will be returned as clean as before. What if the other customers have body odor?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-7 10:40:16 |Display all floors

Zhao Photo: Wei Xi/GT

Zhao, female, China

I have heard about it, but I have not used it. I think Chinese people are still conservative about renting clothes because clothes can be intimate and are different from other things like bags. I would be ok with renting jackets and coats. In fact, I do have a lot of clothes which have not been worn many times since being purchased. I have been thinking about how to deal with them. That's a big headache for me. I think a business model like this will be accepted by more young Chinese, who easily adapt to new things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-7 10:40:35 |Display all floors

Wan Photo: Wei Xi/GT

Wan, male, China

I have not heard about it. But I support the idea of renting clothes. Women often buy a lot of clothes and will put them in their closet forever after only wearing them once or twice. It would be better if they just rented clothes.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-7 10:40:53 |Display all floors

Hao Photo: Wei Xi/GT

Hao, female, China

I would hesitate to rent because it deals with a lot of issues. Besides sanitation concerns, what if the clothing got damaged? How would the company identify whose responsibility it should be? If I rent or purchase something second-hand, it would only be something that I could not get in any other way. For daily clothes that I can afford, I would rather buy them myself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-7 10:41:10 |Display all floors

Taylor Photo: Wei Xi/GT

Taylor, male, Australia

We have a few clothing rental services in Australia. They are starting to pick up. There are a few for men where you can rent ties or socks. I think it's a cool system.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-7 10:42:02 |Display all floors

Sipei and Ryan Photo: Wei Xi/GT

Ryan, male, the US

I think one of the factors behind the movement is that China has never really developed credit systems like a lot of Western countries have. I think these new renting services for bicycles, clothes and electronics are a substitute for the credit card, which has never really been popular in China.

In the US, we usually wear something for about one year and then donate it to charity. However, people do rent clothes for special occasions such as weddings.
Sipei, female, Sweden

I have never heard of it in Sweden. It is good for the environment if you share instead of just using something a few times and then throwing it away. I think the consumption trend is good.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-7 20:59:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-7-7 21:00

Both of them need you pay money to others, it is always equal in weight when you arm or carry on the back!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.