Views: 1278|Replies: 3

Why Senior Chinese Politicans Have a Straight Face? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-7-4 16:56:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zhihu1 at 2018-7-5 10:57

Today is a white day. I think I feel safe to post on Free Talk from now on.
UYA has a thread asking why Chinese politicans have a straight face. It seems to him that they hardly laugh, smile, etc. Is it a culture?

Yes, he is correct. It is a Chinese culture, especially in Chinese officialdom and business arena.

The more senior officials, the less facial expressions/body language they have in public, as they don't display their emotions. This is the quality of a senior Chinese politican or senior enterpreneur who should possess.  It would be considered as being childish if people have no control of the emotions from Chinese perspective.

For example, in a conference, they shouldn't smile if they hear a proposal which is up to snuff.

If he smiles, his underlings would unlikely be against his will as they can read his mind via micro facial expressions.

This is called "xinu bu xing yu se" which literally means either being happy or angry will not display on the face, thus they avoid of being manipulated by speculators or antagonists.

I would say "xinu bu xing yu se" is a part of Chinese wuwei philosophy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-5 10:52:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-5 10:57:46 |Display all floors
futureone168 Post time: 2018-7-5 10:52
Whatever Chinese political leaders look young, sincere & and amazing.  Special regards & love will b ...

Thank you, futureone.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-5 11:03:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.