Views: 8866|Replies: 5

Why is the US targeting China's Confucius Institute? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-7-4 10:19:38 |Display all floors
(The Washington Post) I began studying Chinese in 1978, the year before the United States normalized relations with the People’s Republic of China. The textbooks we used at Stanford University came straight from Beijing. Apart from memorizing “this is a table and that is a pen,” we ingested a diet heavy of Maoism. First-year Chinese, and my classmates and I were already reciting Red China’s catechism. Among the incantations: “vanguard of the proletariat,” “down with imperialism” and “Long Live Chairman Mao.”

I’ve been reflecting back on the beginning of my lifelong connection to China as a controversy over the teaching of Chinese in the United States has reached Congress. A proposal by Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) would force the Beijing-funded Confucius Institutes, which operate on the campuses of close to 100 American universities, to register with the Department of Justice as agents of a foreign government. Wilson is not alone. Earlier this year, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) urged his state’s colleges and universities to shutter their Confucius Institutes. Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) did the same last week, calling on the 40 universities and colleges in his state to either shut or commit to never opening the institutes at all. In May, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) alleged that Confucius Institutes are linked to espionage on U.S. universities and introduced legislation — the Stop Higher Education Espionage and Theft Act — in an effort to help the FBI to monitor the institutes.

Congress is worried about Confucius Institutes because of allegations that teachers and administrators from the institutes have been involved in censoring discussions about China on U.S. college campuses. The institutes are also controversial because many of the agreements between the Chinese government and the colleges and universities have been concluded in secret. College administrators, seduced by offers of funding from China, have cut faculty senates — which ordinarily would be involved in such decisions — out of the process.  These are serious issues, but nothing that can’t be dealt with by the universities themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-4 10:22:18 |Display all floors

Instead of clarifying the challenge from China, those jumping on the congressional bandwagon have muddied it. In their eagerness to “do something” about China, they are doing the wrong thing: going after a relatively harmless language-training program while more serious intelligence breaches occur elsewhere.

In the end, I did get the chance to try out some of my leftist Chinese vocabulary. On my first trip to China in 1980, I shared a train berth with a Chinese official. Seeking solidarity, I observed that the Bob Marley song coming from my boombox was “revolutionary music.” He looked at me in abject terror.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-4 19:08:53 |Display all floors
All you have to do is look at the human garbage listed in the article to understand their love of totalitarian thought within their dying society.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-7-4 21:46:06 |Display all floors
So where is the problem? Register the Confucius Institutes as foreign agencies and their foreign staffers as spies and agents - and go on teaching Mandarin and a little Maoism. Vladimir Putin forced the West to seek his approval for teaching and related cultural activities which, when done by Westerners, is deemed as "foreign agent work". The USA followed suit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-5 04:42:09 |Display all floors
Maybe that institution could learn America more then Dr Phil and the Kardashians together !
That's why it is looked up on as a future DANGER for USA !!
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-6 09:29:23 |Display all floors
They are soo pathetic, on one of their late night shows they interview approximately 6 people about China spying on the US.
They all recon if you have any appliances in your home, made in China, then the Chinese are spying on you.
I will do my best to get the link of the video to post it for who ever want to see it.  
Human lives mean little when those in the WEST see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.