Author: zhihu1

English = Colourless Language [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 12:08:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-10 11:58
My first post is still in limbo... Let me therefore deal with some of your contentions as they c ...

I remember taking part in a summer camp somewhere in bucolic China where children from the whole rest of the country came to practise English.

There was a speech contest. At least two participants prepared speeches about "the Beauty of Chinese People".

It was puzzling why they would choose this topic, and moreover, why two middle school children would want to hold a speech with the same title.

I later found out why and how.
They memorized a textbook essay about why Chinese should be proud: Of their black hair, their yellow skin, their short nose their language, their history, their identity...

You get my drift: These youngsters learnt via a silly textbook that being Chinese needs to be defended to the world. Somehow the authors of that boo managed to give Chinese readers the feeling that the international community regards Chinese as subhuman.

In my opinion, the authors of that book did their young learners a huge disservice. No one in the West can share such prejudices against Asian people with impunity. No one is allowed to feel that East Asians are not fully equal to all other races in the West.  So why do Chinese textbook authors prepare such misleading information?

If you want to be a victim of racism or any other -ism, you will be, no matter what the reality is. Victims want to be victims and be pitied. This is pathetic but it is what nationalists do everywhere in the world.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 12:20:17 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-9 20:05
First, you don't understand  the cultural connotation of yellow is as well as the division of ethini ...

Your Point No. Two contains some truth but a wildly erroneous conclusion:

Second, do you understand what slavery I refer to in the context? This is one race against another. Dozen of American Presidents were slaves owners and they were hailed as greatest presidents in the history of the US.

Skin colour does NOT determine the relationship between slave owners and slaves. It is incidental to the issue. In the USA's case, the Whites were slave drivers and their slaves were Africans. That was an historic accident, not a racial automatism.

You can best be proven wrong when you go to Africa: Africans to this day enslave fellow Africans. This is not something new to them. It's been an African social reality for millennia. It explains why Africans sold Africans to Arabs and to Portuguese who shipped African slaves to the Americas.

Africans have invaded many territories in Africa and enslaved locals or driven them out: In S Africa for example, Bantus invaded the land hitherto inhabited by what the Whites called "Bushmen". The Bushmen, better known as the Khoisan, are of a different race, smaller, with a lighter skin colour. The Bantus never intermarry with them. Today they live in the Namib desert. The Bantus settled in the more grassy parts of the land where they could graze their cattle.

And over in Congo and in Central Africa, there are people called Pygmies who again have been driven out of their original land by immigrant Bantus. Many Bantus even hold Pygmmies as slaves in their households.

I once went to Sudan and came upon a house owned by a Sudanese woman. She ran a brothel and all her working girls were enslaved Ethiopian women.

In conclusion I suggest you not associate WHITE with all the negative fallout of the world, such as racism and slavery. These things happen in the parts of the world inhabited by non-Whites ore commonly than they do in the West.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 12:30:15 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-9 20:05
First, you don't understand  the cultural connotation of yellow is as well as the division of ethini ...

Your Point No. Three contains contradictions to your own contentions:

Third, I am sorry for your comprehension about my post. It is not the language that is the racist, but the people who invent the language to humiliate other people are racist.

If you didn't use colours to insult other people, the racist West would use other  words like chink, occidental to humilate people. The Indian author of White Tiger which is a novel used 'yellow" in English to refer to us Chinese, but I never feel offended.

So you owned up for writing in misleading English that others misunderstood...

But then you go on making wild allegations and judgements bereft of any credibility or evidence.

For example, if you think people talk about members of other races or ethnic groups, how should they talk about them? How can one identify immigrants among the local population? If immigrants hail from a distant continent their skin colour may very well be different from that of the locals. Why is it "racist" to name Africans "Blacks" and East Aisans "yellow people"? There is nothing racist in it.

Of course, when such descriptors are used frequently enough, a general image of the immigrants issues, and normally such oft-repeated observations tend to contain negative elements. If that is what you don't agree with, be my guest. But these statements still are not "racist".

It is a fact of life that certain negative sides show more commonly in certain immigrant groups: If, say, China were to hold a FIFA match, it would have to bear in mind where the football fans come from. A bunch of British football fans are like a bunch of hooligans. If Russians and British come to the same stadium you need to anticipate violent confrontations.

And what is true for the white gander is also true for the yellow, brown or black goose.

So why do you insist the "English language is racist"? It shows your personal racist prejudice...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 12:32:18 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-9 20:34
Racism of any kind is born of pure ignorance. Unintelligent people engage in such.

And ignorance has nothing to do with intelligence. Think about it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 12:33:50 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-9 20:53
. All of our ancestors are guilty (though you and I never participated in it).

S the dangerous nonsense you are posting: People are born guilty...

No one is born guilty. You just made the most heinously racist assertion.

Shame on you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 19:55:07 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-10 06:48
The title of your article is tasty that means half success of the post!
I think English is the most  ...

Yes, your compatriot is at loggerheads with the rich English language because he has plenty of biases, pet peeves and a nationalist inferiority complex. But he knows the English vocabulary fairly well though not the guidelines that assist a speaker or a writer who addresses a large audience.

If you speak or write English you need to follow unwritten rules that help you talk to your audience in an appropriate manner. You don't speak in the same way to kindergarten kids as you do to high school pupils. There are even huge differences in lexicon and diction adopted when you address a crowd of adults: One version when the adults are academics, a different one when the listeners or readers are adults without a tertiary education.

Zhinmi has published the following list of nouns:
"Frog  = French

Banana  = Chinese

canuck = French Canadian

bluegum = black

Bog-trotter = Irish

Frewj = Jews

brownie = Indian

chink = Chinese

coon = black people

crow = black people

Dago = spanish people

Dothead = South Asians"

These words are a hodgepodge of colloquialisms of which the English language is extremely rich. To understand colloquial expressions, one needs to be familiar with English. Textbook knowledge is not enough. Many of Zhinmin's examples are NOT AT ALL DEROGATORY, let alone RACIST! "Canuck" for example is a nickname that endears Canadians to others. Canadians don't think it is a word charged negatively.

Most of the other words can be derogatory in CERTAIN contexts, but they need not be derogatory in every case. "Banana" for example is a moniker the ethnic Chinese, the so-called "Overseas Chinese" use very often when they talk about themselves.  

Words such as "dothead" are unknown to most people; I certainly have never read or heard it before. I wonder where Zhinmin picked it up.

In the end you have to ask yourself: Why would YOU choose to call a member of a different ethnic group by an ethnic alias, a nickname, a colloquialism? It is YOUR INTENTION that matters, not what word you choose. If you want to say something nasty about anyone, you don't even have to use derogatory or colloquial terms. You can just let fly and add all your negative biases in a single sentence.

Educated people are choosy when it comes to words. The colloquialisms above do not belong to the vocabulary that is suitable for writing a nice essay, report, news article or a dissertation. They fit only in informal speeches best held between like-minded friends, colleagues, compatriots.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-11 19:45:09 |Display all floors
Wolfgang claims he is a Westerner, but his son and wife are Chinese citizens.

Go, Wolfgang tells your own CHINESE son that Chinese is inferior, and stabs your racist knife at your CHINESE son's heart  as well as your CHINESE wife.

Sicko.

If people is new to Wolfgang, and wonder who he is. He is my neighbour living in our commu

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.