Author: zhihu1

English = Colourless Language [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-9 20:34:04 |Display all floors
Racism of any kind is born of pure ignorance. Unintelligent people engage in such.

Racism has nothing to do with intelligence. There were dozen of American Presidents who were slavery supporters and owners. Would anyone call them they're not intelligent?

POTUS Lincoln though nominally abolish slavery, but he said he intended to ship all the black out of the USA.

Racism is about intolerance and greed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 20:37:55 |Display all floors
By the way, if English is racist (which is an utterly absurd assertion), I suggest that you write your post in Chinese lest you become complicit. Well, it's too late. You already are.

English is the lingua franca. I'm here educating people like you who are ingorant of the language even it is your native language.

Why do you try to cover it up and gag people?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 20:53:25 |Display all floors
. All of our ancestors are guilty (though you and I never participated in it).

Nonsense again. You're born gulity, because of your own Christian faith. Don't talk to me about apple stealing story. I'm not Christian and I don't buy that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 06:48:41 |Display all floors
The title of your article is tasty that means half success of the post!
I think English is the most colorful language in the world since it owns the powerful vocabulary with which you can describe any thing with a fine picture in detailed way with more image element points just as you could see on the computer screen!
We Chinese should learn from western friends on writing style.---------Only in this way, Chinese could be as attractive as English!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 11:49:17 |Display all floors

Far from being "colourless", the English language has more terms for colours than any other language.
For example, the word "white" is commonly understood when applied to inamiate objects: A white house, a white bathtub, a white line on the ground...

When talking about PEOPLE, English has more colours: Albino for instance is a person born with a condition that renders the person's skin colour very and unnaturally pale. African albinos routinely suffer persecution by their black compatriots. In some cases, albino Blacks get killed to pass their good luck to others.

That the word "Negro" has been discarded from polite English has nothing to do with the skin colour of the person formerly called a "Negro". Negro comes from the Latin word for black, nigrus, nigra, nigrum (adjective). In Roman times a dark skin colour didn't lower your status.

The negative connotations to the word "Negro" originated with US Amerian English and US America's social dilemmas, including the social stratification in the South that condemned Blacks to be slaves and Whites to be their owners.

As for the "Yellow Peril", I fail to see any racially motivated stigmatisation. The Japanese were the Asian de facto yellow nation that became a menace to not only the West but to Asia itself.

In fact, most Westerners don't attach racial significance to skin colours; they judge people more by their CULTURE. It is common in the West for Whites to go to a tanning studio and get their sin bronzed. Interestingly, Asians have a strong prejudice against dark skin colours especially in Japan, Korea and China: The whiter the better...

And don't get me started talking about CHINESE racist stereotypes! They are numerous, nasty and ineradicable. Some of them are centuries old and hark back to long before Europeans came to roost on Chinas southern coast. In GUANGZHOU, many locals refer to Africans as "HEI GUI". Whites have also been the target of Chinese racist monikers such as "guilao". And the peoples who were displaced by the Chinese conquerors of the territories that eventually became Chinese through mass immigration labelled the aboriginal peoples all kinds of unfriendly things. "Barbarians" was the most common.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 11:50:18 |Display all floors
I am waiting for my first reply to show.. Will it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 11:58:16 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-9 20:05
First, you don't understand  the cultural connotation of yellow is as well as the division of ethini ...

My first post is still in limbo... Let me therefore deal with some of your contentions as they crop up here.

First, you don't understand  the cultural connotation of yellow is as well as the division of ethinity.

You are misinformed about the English use of the word "yellow" and the phrase "yellow peril". The phrase started its career in the 19th century when Japan was fast becoming a global player, winning a war against Russia and advancing towards the Asian continent.

It was natural for the West to label the Japanese "Yellow Peril" because a menace they definitely were. History proved beyond doubt that they were even to you Asians.

I do not know if China was ever targeted with this label except in very recent decades, and again not exactly without some objective reason.

The phrase has no racial overtones. It's a stigmatisation of Asian cultures that try to dominate other cultures.

Don't make the mistake of always looking at things from a purely Chinese point of view. Chinese are not the only yellow people; Japanese were the first to be thus referred to, and Vietnamese also can be called "yellow".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.