Author: zhihu1

Chinese People Should Stop Adopting English Name [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-9 17:32:38 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2018-6-9 14:33
My Chinese office Women has two children I was asked to give them names and also a Salesgirl has two ...

Woman has ......(NOT women)
salelady has two....(Girl is unmarried.)
That's great.

I wonder why you are not strict on grammar this time?
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 17:35:22 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-9 17:13
It is shallow if you learn from foreigners on appearance! ------------In 1970s, when watching the fi ...

Actually what China could and should learn from the West is how to deal with people whose names differ from ours. China is a very unique, isolated, parochial case.

The Chinese are probably the only people who cannot introduce themselves to others without causing confusion and misunderstandings. If you meet someone for the first time, you introduce yourself with both your names: A surname and a given name. In much of the world the order is given name, surname. In East Asia, notably in Confucian societies it is surname first, given name after.

But since the Chinese custom is at variance with the customs in ost of the world, why can't the Chinese be bothered to learn to distinguish between their surname and given name properly and deal with it appropriately? They could, for instance, say "My surname is Sima and my first name is Qian".

That would give those not familiar with COnfucian tradition a hint. They could then identify the family name and choose to add "Mr" or "Ms". to it. If they want to be familiar with the Chinese person, they could pick the Chinese person's given name.

Because the Chinese are mired in their Confucian culture, the Chinese themselves cannot norally identify a non-Chinese person's first name and surname. They routinely address an international person by his or her given name, which might be highly inappropriate in some cases. Many don't even bother to remember a foreign person's name. You simply are "the laowai" or "the foreign friend". That is less than sophisticated and often worse than churlish.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 18:13:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2018-6-9 18:29
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-9 17:32
Woman has ......(NOT women)
salelady has two....(Girl is unmarried.)
That's great.

Thank you fer pointin out me typo.

But it can be saleslady or salesgirl. (in the UK anyway) it doesn't change after marriage at 16 to become a lady, however you are again correct as she is 38 but in my old eyes she's young and still what I see as a girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 22:50:55 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2018-6-9 18:13
Thank you fer pointin out me typo.

But it can be saleslady or salesgirl. (in the UK anyway) it doe ...

Do you mean "Thank you for pointing out me typo." ?

In China the lowest marriage-age for woman had been 22 years old since 1980 to 2010 or so. It is rare to see a girl  getting married at 16!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 23:47:00 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-9 22:50

In China the lowest marriage-age for woman ha ...

No I meant

"Thank you for typing out my typo"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-10 06:27:35 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2018-6-9 23:47

No I meant

About "No I meant"-----------
Nothing SEARU meant!"  Before moderator, he is only a pupil!

About “Thank you for typing out my typo”--------------

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 11:08:08 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-10 06:27
About "No I meant"-----------
Nothing SEARU meant!"  Before moderator, he is only a pupil!

I have been wanting to ask SEARU for a LOOONG time:

What does SEARU mean with this hieroglyphic ornament to many of his sentences:
"-----------

These symbols are truly baffling and mysterious. Are you sending out cryptic messages?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.