Views: 4326|Replies: 58

Chinese People Should Stop Adopting English Name [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-9 10:58:28 |Display all floors

Chinese People Should Stop Adopting English Name

Nowadays it seems trendy for Chinese to adopt English name which I frown upon as people don't realise that's cultural imperalism and disowns our own culture, especial our own identity being Chinese. It is ridiculous that some Chinese people call each other, "Mary" and "Tom" something like that in public, our own country- Zhongguo.  

Chinese names are very beatitful. Those can mean pheonix and dragon that are totems of Chinese nation, or flowers, trees, stone, etc.

Chinese names are that poetic. My name is derived from a Chinese poem.  Whenever I tell people my name, educated people's lips would curve in smile and quote the relevant verse on the spot.

Chinese names are so melodic with conbination of different tones.

Chinese names are so philosophical, cultural, etc.

What's more, people' names always are pinned with the parents' hope on us. With names, people can easily trace back to their family tree.

Why do we want to disown our real names and adopt false English names for ourselves? IMO, it is due to individual disconfident and the Western cultural imperalism that makes us lost ourselves.

Confident people like Mao, Xi, Modi, Putin, Obama, etc. don't adopt any English/false name for themselves. Barack is not an English name at all. These people are not influenced by other people but affect people, because they know who they are, they know they are good, excellent, at least that is how they regard themselves.

Indian Premier Modi is a very confident person in my view. I am very impressed by his traditional Indian attire, which virtually is a buisness card of the image of his individual and India,  which suggests who he is, how comfortable he is being an Indian leader. From my Internet search I hardly find any photo on which he wore Western suit in any occasions, especially during his formal state visits.

It is stupid and ugly that some Chinese people try to dye their hair blond, purple, etc. and falsify our own identity as well as to adopt a false English name.

Don't be assimilated. Don't try to cater for other people's tastes.

Be comfortable to your own self, accept and appreciate your own own self. This is the prerequisite to win respect from foes and friends and this is what I want to say in this post.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 12:35:41 |Display all floors
So what do YOU say to the extinction of aboriginal languages due to sinicisation? The Mongolians' proper names are as beautiful, poetic and rich as any, yet they are disappearing because of the ongoing genocide of their culture. The Manchus have gone and others are now on the butchers' block as well.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 14:30:46 |Display all floors
I am English, and I have a Chinese name given to me 18 years ago when I first went there. I very happy with it, pleased with that so the suggestion is nonsense for Chinese not to have an English name

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 14:33:41 |Display all floors
My Chinese office Women has two children I was asked to give them names and also a Salesgirl has two she also asked me to give her two names, so if it pleases them too thats great

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 15:58:32 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-9 12:35
So what do YOU say to the extinction of aboriginal languages due to sinicisation? The Mongolians' pr ...

Predictably, you failed to add to the list of the disappeared native Hawaiians, American Indians, indigenous Maoris, Incas and Mayans at the hands of white colonists.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 17:13:31 |Display all floors
It is shallow if you learn from foreigners on appearance! ------------In 1970s, when watching the films Chinese admired the western ‘shining advertising lighting’! ------------That was what you can see in our county-level town at night!
Fellow Chinese friends should pay much attention to the real advantages of foreign culture such as their smart thinking way and try to express ideas in simple words in daily life as well as in teaching and researching!
Try ro use simple words for teaching and communication in daily life that is essential to the success of our education!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 17:25:52 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2018-6-9 15:58
Predictably, you failed to add to the list of the disappeared native Hawaiians, American Indians,  ...

Don't forget the CHINESE who are a massive minority of foreign settlers in the places you just mentioned where aboriginals have been displaced or replaced by migrants. The Chinese can be found in every country of the world. Not so the Whites.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.