Views: 34316|Replies: 177

China Has Failed Miserably On Tobacco Control!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-1 11:47:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-6-2 13:23

World NO Tobacco Day has come and gone, and China's report card on tobacco control is a disgrace!  Years after it signed up to the Convention on Tobacco Control, it is still dragging its feet,  unwilling to take tough measures to control smoking in public places or mandate graphic health warnings on cigarette packs, or raise taxes high enough to deter smoking.  It has not come up with a national ban on smoking in public places, leaving it to some cities to impose their half hearted bans which look good only on paper but hardly enforced!  Smokers can often be seen puffing away in places with No Smoking signs, and with impunity!  In Shenzhen, for instance, there are No Smoking signs in shoppingmall toilets but smokers simply ignore them, passing poisonous secondhand smoke to non smokers everyday.  In fact the toilets have become smoking refuges for smokers to have a puff away from the prying eyes of security guards in the shopping areas.  And in Hangzhou, certain establishments are given exemptions from its smoking ban!
The late paramount leader Deng Xiaoping visited Singapore decades ago and learned from then prime minister Lee Kuan Yew how to run a capitalist economy, and returned to open up Shenzhen as China's first free trade area, which is a roaring success.  Unfortunately, Mr Deng forgot to learn from Lee how to control smoking; Singapore is the world's most successful example of tobacco control!
China aspires to be a Great Nation, but it can't even tackle the smoking problem and protect its citizens from secondhand smoke.  It can only watch as its dream of being a Great Nation goes up in smoke!

P.S.   China has failed to take a stand against vaping or smoking of electronic cigarettes, in public!  Vaping is a sneaky attempt by tobacco companies to deceive smokers and get non smokers to get started on smoking by telling them it is free of nicotene and harmless.  Non smokers who buy into that idea will graduate to tobacco smoking at some point , providing tobacco companies a fresh pool of smokers!  Vaping is just as bad as smoking, and it too must be banned in public places!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 14:28:02 |Display all floors
It is said the tobacco industry is the  top business on profit-making which has contributed a lot of tax to the government!  But soon the nation has to pay bill for the dear medical treatment to the smoker-patients which cost might be bigger than the  income, letting alone the terrible torture to the patients' mental!
To smokers and non-smokers, I have a good advice:
Never let too much smoke get into the depth of your lungs!  When smoke, take in fresh air first and little smoke for irritation if necessary! ------------At the same time keep the door and Windows open! ------------My father had been such a ‘heavy’ smoker who lived to 79 while my mother is now 90 years old who still enjoys good health in sunshine every day!----------It seems that second-hand smoke is not as dangerous as you thought!
Try ro use simple words for teaching and communication in daily life that is essential to the success of our education!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 14:34:56 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-6-1 14:39
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-1 14:28
It is said the tobacco industry is the  top business on profit-making which has contributed a lot of ...

You are the only fool who thinks secondhand smoke is not harmful, all the medical experts say otherwise.  Just bec your father and mother lived to old age with smoke and secondhand smoke does not make your statement true! There could be other reasons for that, nothing to do with smoke.  Statistics tell us smoking is bad for health and secondhand smoke is worse than first hand smoke!  Good luck to you, keep inhaling your father's secondhand smoke, you my not live till old age!  I have seen many little Chinese children exposed to their fathers' or grandfathers' secondhand smoke!   I pity them, they grow up not knowing there is such a thing as smoke-free air, and like you, they will go round telling everyone that secondhand smoke is not harmful!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 14:43:41 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-1 14:34
You are the only fool who thinks secondhand smoke is not harmful, all the medical experts say othe ...

Ho, dear!  I have to accept your criticize! -------------I said so to release those smokers from getting nervous if you think it too serious!
Try ro use simple words for teaching and communication in daily life that is essential to the success of our education!

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-6-1 14:45:42 |Display all floors
I think people should smoke if they want to. Governments should $%$% off and leave people alone. Can we go and live in the sewer and eat rat burgers if we want to like in Demolition Man? Probably not.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-6-1 14:46:03 |Display all floors
Get me a rat burger!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 14:46:49 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-1 14:43
Ho, dear!  I have to accept your criticize! -------------I said so to release those smokers from g ...

Better they get nervous and give up smoking for their own good and for the good of all around them!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.