Author: ceciliazhang

Police rescue Chinese student after kidnapping, deportation bid [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-5-31 16:54:02 |Display all floors
12dream Post time: 2018-5-31 16:46
Very Sensible Remarks  !

Funny and uncanny feelings within my guts are : (1) Didn't thos ...

As far as I know, the language proficiency of foreign students is usually checked by designated test centres, not by every university itself. Normally a foreign student has to pass IELTS tests to qualify to go to Europe, or TOEFL if he or she wants to study in the USA.

I think the two staff overresponded to his poor command because there is at present a unhealthy xenophobic mindset in the USA that the current president is actively encouraging.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 12:27:16 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-5-31 16:54
As far as I know, the language proficiency of foreign students is usually checked by designated te ...

" Normally a foreign student has to pass IELTS tests to qualify to go to Europe, or TOEFL if he or she wants to study in the USA. "

If you rely on their IELTS or TOEFL test results, you are a fool; Chinese students are experts at passing tests, that does not mean they have acquired the language proficiency needed to attend classes overseas!  I have college professor friends overseas who complain that many of their Chinese students have excellent test scores but couldn't follow their lessons!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-1 16:13:10 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-1 12:27
" Normally a foreign student has to pass IELTS tests to qualify to go to Europe, or TOEFL if he or ...

I am probably even more aware of the pitfalls of relying on test scores of foreign students in the West (for example CHINESE ones) but at the same time I want to point out that we must have a means to check and this means must be uniform for all exam takers.

Whether a Chiense passes an IELTS test or not, there are some skills you cannot fake. FOr example you cannot pretend to answer questions that you don't really understand. IELTS and TOEFL tests put the test takers through some dialogues with unpredictable turns.

On the other hand you cannot entrust the taking of such exams to the schools that enroll foreigners becauswe some of these schools no doubt would tweak the results to suit their hopes for high student intakes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 16:14:03 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-1 12:27
" Normally a foreign student has to pass IELTS tests to qualify to go to Europe, or TOEFL if he or ...

A reply is on its way to the forum though I don't know if the filter will release it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-2 07:12:50 |Display all floors
From the SCMP ...
"An unrelated lawsuit, filed last year by a former instructor, alleges that some of IASCO’s Chinese students spoke so little English that they could not safely fly – that one had nearly crashed into another plane because he had misunderstood his teacher’s instructions."

From what I have read, the school contracted with China’s civil aviation authority to train its new pilots. This means that the CCAA is responsible for vetting their prospective pilots' English capabilities. The CCAA is the one taking the students' money.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-2 09:17:13 |Display all floors
Is Shi Tianshu now free and in the USA?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-2 12:15:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-6-2 12:22
seneca Post time: 2018-6-1 16:13
I am probably even more aware of the pitfalls of relying on test scores of foreign students in the ...

'you cannot pretend to answer questions that you don't really understand.'

Ha, you'd be surprised, there are special schools which help students spot likely questions and drill them, and they are proud to announce to all their skill in spotting questions and preparing students to score high marks even if the students don't know enough English.  And their fees are not cheap!  And btw, the schools don't teach students English, that is not their job, which is to get students to pass exams only!  Woe betide overseas colleges which rely on tests results.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.