Author: Grace222

Is it necessary to take money as the wedding gift in China? [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-5-11 23:11:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-5-11 06:00
Really? Please, do list "a few others". I don't know a single culture where money is so coveted as ...

Yeah, in most other countries they just throw money away. It's too hard to carry around.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-5-12 09:29:50 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-5-11 23:11
Yeah, in most other countries they just throw money away. It's too hard to carry around.

What backward society do you hail from? When my sisters learnt of my impending wedding, they went shopping and we got handy, charming, useful gifts for our new home, not crass, dirty and heartless money.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2018-5-12 14:09:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-5-11 22:00
Really? Please, do list "a few others". I don't know a single culture where money is so coveted as ...

I will start with JEWISH weddings.....

There are three major denominations in Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform, and numerous small denominations, as well, but luckily, most Jewish wedding traditions are consistent among the denominations. One gift that’s common at a Jewish wedding is money, but not just any money — money in multiples of the number 18, which is the numerical equivalent to the Hebrew word chai (pronounced “hai” with the “h” as a sort of gurgle in the back of your throat). Chai means “life” in English. Depending on your relationship to the couple at hand, you might want to give $144, which is eight times chai, or 11 times chai, which is $198, or any other variation you feel comfortable with.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2018-5-12 14:11:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-5-11 22:00
  1. I don't know a single culture where money is so coveted as in China.
Copy code
Subject is "money" as a wedding gift.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-12 14:16:12 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2018-5-12 14:09
I will start with JEWISH weddings.....

There are three major denominations in Judaism: Orthodox ...

Now, the Hindu weddings......

Money is also a common gift at a Hindu wedding, and as with a Jewish wedding, there is a particular number theme in Hindu culture. Numbers ending in one are considered lucky, so it is best to give money in these denominations; for example, a gift of $101, $151 or $201. Cash is preferable when giving money, but a check is also acceptable. If you are giving cash, look for a nice, handmade gift envelope to put it in.

Caution :  Never give a gift made of leather! Hindus believe the skin of a dead animal, particularly a cow, to be sacrilegious.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-5-12 18:36:33 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-5-11 15:45
You do NOT "send" money to the couple at a wedding; you actually go there in person and hand over a  ...

Sending it is cheaper therefore they can add the train money to the red envelope.

When I go to China I always give the Children of friends a red envelope 500 rmb.

I don't bother with a red envelope when giving money to KTV girls

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.