Author: ceciliazhang

Starbucks CEO apologizes for racist arrest, amid criticism, protest [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-20 12:33:52 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-4-20 10:45
Typical senecanian response, which is euphemism for racism. And that is why I felt amused when you ...
A social media user Melissa Depino tweeted "the police were called because these men hadn't ordered anything. They were waiting for a friend to show up ...

And in what way does this differ from what I repeated in my earlier post? Nothing. The only difference appears when we learn that the YouTube poster made her personal comment.

That comment may be accurate. Then again it might be warped and bent. One witness-by-chance does not necessarily support your view;

I know that operators of cafes, bars, restaurants dislike patrons who take up space but place no orders. I don't walk into such a place to wait for a buddy who might or might never come.

I think the operator has a right to deny loiterers his hospitality.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-20 12:34:54 |Display all floors
Archer_1 Post time: 2018-4-20 12:25
Racism in the US  is rooted in its provenance, and it is an incurable malady.

And where is racism rooted in Asian countries? In the hearts of the people?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-20 12:41:00 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-4-20 12:29
Rev Wright, Obama's godfather, said the similar words.

Anglo-Saxon Yankees won't leg go of their privileges, never.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-20 12:41:14 |Display all floors
Typical senecanian response, which is euphemism for racism. And that is why I felt amused when you ...

Let's see if voice_cd will release my first reply to you. I assure you it was a polite one.

Here is a reflection: Some Chinese HOSPITALS have in the past been reported to reject patients for one reason or another. In the late 1990s for example, many Hongkongers were denied services by Shenzhen clinics if the Hong Kong patient did not have funds on them, was unconscious and nobody could verify the patient's identity. Some people actually died that way.

Now here is a private business, a business that works for profits, and it attracts loiterers. The patrons don't enter the STARBUCKS in order to obtain a life-saving medical intervention; they come for private matters. Shouldn't  STARBUCKS have the right to deny this obvious abuse of their hospitality?

Again, I am not saying the two men abused it nor do I deny that their human rights were probably trampled upon. But you need to keep a cool head, man, if you want to get to the bottom of this case.

Your shotgun conclusions don't help either victims nor the perps.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-20 13:41:52 |Display all floors
The west is shredding the very fabrics that hold their people together as a nation...

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-20 13:52:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-4-19 21:53
seneca Post time: 2018-4-19 20:41
Let's see if voice_cd will release my first reply to you. I assure you it was a polite one.

Her ...

What does denial of hospital care have to do with Starbucks.
If you want an example of denial of care in the US you only have to look at the religious hum buggery.

-------------
In the spring of 2015,
Dr. AuTumn Davidson
was called in to the University of Illinois Hospital in
the early hours of the morning to perform an emergency abortion. The patient was 19 years old and
about 19 weeks pregnant, with a subchorionic hemorrhage causing heavy bleeding. The patient had
sought emergency care at two different Catholic hospitals during the previous week, but neither
would perform an abortion—even though she was bleeding so heavily that one of the hospitals gave
her a blood transfusion before sending her home.
“She told us that someone at the second hospital had whispered to her that if she wanted an abortion,
she could go to another hospital,” Dr. Davidson recalled. “When we admitted her, her hemoglobin
was at 6 instead of at 11 or 12, where it should have been. She and her partner just kept saying that
they thought she was going to die.”
Unfortunately, this patient’s experience is not unique.
-------------------
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-20 15:19:10 |Display all floors

I wonder if you remember the incident a few years ago in Beijing when the PSB launched an ‘investigation’.

This investigation was to round up all the blacks at bars in Sanlitun. People socializing in bars with their friends, were arrested, handcuffed and taken to police stations for the crime of being black.

Now, around Sanlitun, there is the problem of African drug dealers however the police couldn’t discern who wears who or what (great investigators!) so just rounded up all of them.

Outcry on Chinese social media? None. Silence.
Apology from the police? None.
Apology from city governemnt? In fact, they tried to censor discussion of the incident online.

And then it became clear that when arresting all the people whose skin colour they were targeting ... it was found that get had arrested the son of an ambassador (Jamaica, I think). Not only arrest d but beaten up by police while in he police station. His crime? Telling hem he was not a drug dealer. But hey he was black Simon the eyes of the Beijing police, a legitimate target.

It was only then that the government offered an apology. Not to all the blacks who were arrested for their skin color. Only to the son of the ambassador - no one else.

Byt hey you keep on pointing the finger at the USA and talking about how bad racism is there. China is perfect, right? I mean if it doesn’t appear on the internet or in the news, it didn’t happen right? Hooray for censorship!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.