Views: 1578|Replies: 8

EVIL or STUPID - Which is worse? [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Happiest Member

Post time 2018-4-7 11:28:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2018-4-7 13:32

Which of the two is a greater danger to life in general and humans in particular?

I have often pondered this question. I tried to figure this out using an approach of determining for myself which has caused more suffering and loss - Evil or Stupidity? It seems impossible to come to a definite conclusion. Just as I think there is evidence of conclusive evidence, I am surprised or reminded by a counter evidence. It would certainly be useful in determining which of the two is worse.

While I cannot honestly confess to evil intentions, I can certainly admit to a few acts of foolishness or stupidity.

It seems in the minds of people who I can see as evil, there somehow seems to be the notion that humans view stupidity as the lesser crime. It seems to be so common, prevalent and something that all of us can honestly relate to, that it seems more forgivable.

It is a routine that never surprises me anymore - whenever a crook or terrible criminal, particularly politicians (who live off an understanding of human nature) gets caught for a truly evil or heinous crime (these are not just the ones with direct violence), they all unfailingly, at the end of their argument in court, in face of irrefutable evidence to their guilt, almost always, plead 'Stupidity' as a defense!
"I was 'silly', My Lord!"
"I was not thinking straight, your honour. I was being naive and stupid, Judge!"

So, their perception is that 'stupidity' being the lesser crime, they will get a lighter sentence. But, what if stupidity or the failure to address one's own stupidity is considered a greater or as bad a crime as being evil? Would not their pleas change? Would not society itself change?
Of course, one needs to make allowances for the very young and very old (if their mental condition has deteriorated). We already do so for these classes of humans in the way we judge or sentence them. But I hate to see crooks in their prime suddenly plead 'foolishness' or stupidity while also asking for consideration for serious medical conditions which always develop as the case nears conviction. Other than crooks, it is also the rest of us in society - we probably do more damage by failing to address our stupidity than by obvious evil intentions.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Copyright (c) KIyer 2018
All rights reserved
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-7 12:47:15 |Display all floors
Unfortunately there are some western propagandists in this forum who are both.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-8 19:20:37 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-7 12:47

That's for sure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-8 20:53:26 |Display all floors
Evil people would destroy as many as possible the lives of people.
- The genecide of Jews
- The Nanjing Massacre
- A tiny of evil people created "Caste" and told thatl the other are Dalit, untouchable, in order to rule, exploit.
- Tell lies there're WMD in Iraq in order to invade.
- Those who resort Nuke in order to destroy the Earh.

It's not necessary for me to go on and on.

Stupid people generally cause a little harm at best.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-9 05:53:12 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-7 12:47

Nice to see you put your passport photo back on as your Avatar

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-4-9 11:00:45 |Display all floors
pleading foolish only works on minor crimes
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-9 11:55:47 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2018-4-8 13:53
Nice to see you put your passport photo back on as your Avatar

It's back by popular demand.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.