Views: 14897|Replies: 9

Video platforms criticized for promoting teen pregnancy [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-5 18:08:42 |Display all floors

A 16-year-old mother with her baby is seen in a screenshot from an online video. [File photo: cctv.com]

Several popular video streaming platforms in China have been criticized for promoting teenage pregnancy, after an investigation by China Central Television found videos of hundreds of pregnant teenagers and teen mothers online.

These teenagers, who mostly come from villages or small towns, have uploaded tens of thousands of videos onto the platforms in order to grow their number of followers.

And people are watching: on one popular streaming platform, a 19-year-old mother and her child's father have 45 million followers. A live stream of the couple with their one-year-old child can receive 2.8 million likes.

In some cases, it appears that the law has been broken: some of the mothers are only 13 years old, and China's Criminal Law stipulates that having sexual relations with a girl under the age of 14 is rape.

Because of the popularity of the videos of the young mothers, they are often promoted further by the streaming platforms, such as through the lists of recommended videos.

Tian Feng, an expert on youth and social problems with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said that this risks exacerbating the negative impact of the videos.

"If a young person watched such a video once, the platform will continue to push similar content. The young person might feel this is what the world around them is like. He or she will think these abnormal or even illegal things are normal," said Tian.

According to China's Marriage Law, men under the age of 22 and women under the age of 20 are not able to marry.

In a video they uploaded to a streaming video platform, a teen couple shows off their life after they elope. [File photo: cctv.com]

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-4-6 07:14:26 |Display all floors
I can't believe you Chinese can have sex with a 14 year old. We have to wait until they are 16 in Australia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-6 07:42:39 |Display all floors
What? Some mothers are only 13 years old? Serious? So, that is to say, I lost virginity at least 12 years later than them. But I always sound, or behave, or look, uh, how to say that again? To quote Madonna's most famous song - I always sound, behave and look Like A Virgin.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-6 16:52:17 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2018-4-6 07:14
I can't believe you Chinese can have sex with a 14 year old. We have to wait until they are 16 in Au ...

What you say is there are no mothers in Australia under the age of 16
Human lives mean little when those in the WEST see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-4-6 18:00:24 |Display all floors
1626548377 Post time: 2018-4-6 16:52
What you say is there are no mothers in Australia under the age of 16

There wouldn't be many. What I am saying is that it is not legal for an adult to have sex with a 14 year old in Australia. And I can't believe that its legal in China. It should be the other way around if you think about it. 14 year olds are far more mature about this stuff in the west and far more capable of giving informed consent.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-4-12 02:06:01 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2018-4-6 18:00
There wouldn't be many. What I am saying is that it is not legal for an adult to have sex with a 1 ...

2% of all births are from girls between 13 and 15-6 and though the numbers have reduced overall since the 70s there's plenty of school age pregnancies in Australia.

China is by no means special for having an age of consent of 14.  Germany, Serbia, Montenegro, Portugal, San Marino, Brazil and quite a few other countries have a minimum consent age of 14.  Though there is often a statutory maximum age for the other participant (it varies) to stop mature adults from deliberately targeting kids who are easily mislead.

12         Angola
13         Burkina Faso, Comoros, Niger, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
14         Botswana (Males), Cape Verde, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Females), Lesotho,
        Madagascar, Madeira (Portugal), São Tomé and Príncipe.

Japan & South Korea -13 years
Bangladesh, Myanmar (Burma), China, East Timor - 14 years.

I could cite many more at 14 years eg: Austria, Bulgaria, Andorra, Albania, and many others.

Many of the countries set a maximum age for the sexual partner of a juvenile. This is to stop sexual exploitation, grooming by adults etc.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-4-12 04:04:23 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-4-12 02:06
2% of all births are from girls between 13 and 15-6 and though the numbers have reduced overall si ...

Which ones don't set a max age for partner? And 1% isn't much. Does China gave a max age for partner? It doesn't does it. How about Germany and Austria?

In China a guy can have sex with  a 14 year old girl hey.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.