Author: 1584austin

Should we just let an armed burglar burgle our houses and take our possessions? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-7 23:19:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-8 00:39:23 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-7 23:19
My home in China has been burgled two times and the police have shown no interest in preventing a  ...

Yes so they should, my Brother had a person that tried to break in his Spanish home. He called the Police and said what happens if he'd got in and I hit him with my baseball bat?

The Policeman said throw him in the canal after.

In UK now if you are burgled and the value is under £200 the Police won't come if it's over £200 they might come in three days

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-8 12:01:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-12 06:17:29 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2018-4-4 18:34
I suppose in a country with an almost entirely disarmed population, they expected the old man to eit ...

It is indeed a supporting case. But there's a broader problem. Firearms are too easily lethal and they have range. There's no reliable way to keep track of the mental status of firearm owners and to remove their firearms when they become dangerous. So firearms should be limited to the police (whose mental status can be better-monitored). A further means of persuading people to surrender their firearms is to make it known that police are instructed to KILL anyone who possesses a firearm during a crime. Terror must be the monopoly of the state.  
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2018-4-12 06:42:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2018-4-12 08:55
Ted180 Post time: 2018-4-12 08:17
It is indeed a supporting case. But there's a broader problem. Firearms are too easily lethal and  ...
Terror must be the monopoly of the state.

In most countries including the present day USA, terror is indeed the monopoly of the state - no different from a tyrannical regime (either inherited or elected). The USA and its constitution is unique in that they are born of a belief that it should NOT be so. That is the very reason for their 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. It is the erosion of these rights in practice that causes the social problems that end up in gun violence in the USA. I am supportive of the spirit and letter of the constitution. It will prevent new ways of enslavement of the people by the state.
Theconsistent collective will and committment of the law-abiding general population (usually a silent majority) to fairness, against tyranny and excessive government control is ALWAYS greater than ANY group of elected politicians or a Royal. The belief that people can democratically elect corrupt crooks who will need to be either removed or limited in their capacity to terrorize the general population is sound, logical foresight by the framers of the USA constitution. The evidence is all around us as we look around the world. This thread is just one small, but good example.

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.