Views: 2147|Replies: 12

What do you think of the unconventional sacrifice offerings? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-4 11:10:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Grace222 at 2018-4-4 11:15

As Chinese Tomb Sweeping Festival is approaching, the sacrifice offerings market sales are also reaching the highest peak. With the constantly changing society, various kinds of odd sacrifice offerings have emerged and become popular in the specific market. For instance, passports, property certificates, mobile phones and computers are sold as small goods. This phenomenon has invited controversy in society. Most people think those unconventional sacrifice offerings should be controlled or limited in the market, as they may bring a sense of humor to the traditonal culture and reduce the traditional festival's significance. Some think those items are only a newfangled form to honor their ancestors. What do you think of this phenomenon? (Here share some pics to show the odd items!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-4 11:14:08 |Display all floors
20160405082717418.jpg
villa

Ma Jiang

laptop

mobile phone

bank card

clothes

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-4 13:59:19 |Display all floors
Criticising the kinds of gifts now en vogue in China is narrow-minded as it only addresses a SYMPTOM rather than its cause.

International people are amused that Chinese people superstitiously burn effigies of money as a sacrifice for the dead.

Therein lies the problem. Why believe that the dearly departed needany material consolation in their part of the universe? The gods of Communism should provide equitable living conditions for the dead in the hereafter. Clearly ordinary citizens don't believe Communism works that way.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-4 14:47:38 |Display all floors
I see far more family participation in this respectful tradition here in China than I ever saw
in a similar holiday, Memorial Day, in the USA.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-4 17:30:10 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-4 14:47
I see far more family participation in this respectful tradition here in China than I ever saw
in a  ...

I don't.

It is a chore for most.

It is a mass phenomenon that causes inconvenience to everybody. So many people on the roads on the same day.

Besides, burning paper objects very often results in blazes and environmental damage.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-4 20:30:43 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-4 01:30
I don't.

It is a chore for most.

Aww. little monkey, you don't see except what you want to see.

I am here in China and you are not.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-5 12:48:01 |Display all floors
I think it's OK..  after all people have freedom to honor their ancestors as long as they don't do harmful things to other people ..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.