Author: parcher

Advice for Jet Lag? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-10 19:23:09 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2018-4-10 04:10
Eat right, don’t drink alcohol, exercise and fly business / first class.

Exactly, I've been to HK/CH/TW 18 times over 18 years, the first two times I flew economy, I felt like shite for the first two days.

Flying Upperclass with Virgin I feel brill when I get there ready to go.....

And as you say watch out for alcohol, once I fell foul and didn't I know it on arrival in LHR

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-11 00:37:13 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2018-4-10 13:23
Exactly, I've been to HK/CH/TW 18 times over 18 years, the first two times I flew econ ...

If I fly for work, I refuse to fly coach. Hotel must also be good enough for comfortable sleep and relaxation. I haven't drank any strong alcohol after I graduated from university. In the last couple years I have also started to pay attention to food. I stopped eating anything processed and dairy products, except cheese. I feel a lot better and I have lost 10 kg.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-11 10:19:45 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2018-4-10 19:23
Exactly, I've been to HK/CH/TW 18 times over 18 years, the first two times I flew econ ...

You only fly once a year? I am surprised. I used to be terrified by intercontinental flights but since I began flying several times a year between China and Europe I changed my attitude.

The first advantage I saw was that you may be wonderfully disconnected to the local time and be up all night (local time) enjoying TV or Internet fare. You then spare yourself the stress of rubbing shoulders with commuters on the local buses and sidewalks in the early morning.

This time when I was in Europe, I always was up by 4 a.m. My guesthouse served breakfast buffet from 5:30 a.m. on. IT was great to be the first to help myself to cappuccino uesli, orange juice, bread, cheese.

I have now been back in China for three days and am back to local time here too.

One thing I a missing in all the posts here: No one talks about exercise. It is imperative that you flex your leg muslces and walk around. Remember the tragic death of a young Briton a few years ago due to leg thrombosis?  

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-4-14 00:57:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-11 10:19
You only fly once a year? I am surprised. I used to be terrified by intercontinental flights but s ...
Remember the tragic death of a young Briton a few years ago due to leg thrombosis?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) are the bane of aircraft flights in the past 30 years or so.  Really hard figures are hard to come by but on very long haul flights (over 12 hours, eg: Sydney Los Angeles, Perth, London direct flights) there is a far greater risk of a DVT, perhaps as many as 10% of passengers develop a DVT that doesn't cause issues.  

How to deal with it? Various stretching and leg movements help, but a sold walk every couple of hours really helps, a couple of laps up and down the isles is enough to get the thigh muscles moving blood and liquid.   Drinking lots of water and avoiding alcohol and coffee help.

You can also wear compression stockings which are obtainable from most pharmacists via special order. Ideally you need 40mm Hg compression and full leg coverage. You still need to do leg stretches and walking etc compression garments help stop gravity from moving fluid to the lower leg area.  

Taking an Asprin before the flight also helps (ideally start about a week before) as Asprin causes a lowering of the blood clotting times hence clots are less likely to occur.  However, some countries won't let you take Asprin in to their territory, so always check with local consulates etc.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-14 06:02:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2018-4-14 06:41
seneca Post time: 2018-4-11 10:19
You only fly once a year? I am surprised. I used to be terrified by intercontinental flights but s ...

Yes around once a year to HK (Virgin) preferred !! or CH (if I fly with (Qatar)  . Perhaps it's time for me to push my Daughter who is now a Director even though I've told her she can fly Upper Class with Virgin she is not interested in going and for her our office women would meet her on arrival,

But I'm getting past my sell by date now and why shouldn't I prefer to sit by the pool in Spain. 'Cerveza Grande' in hand

But of course about 8/9 times to Spain from the UK but that's 2.10 mins, have a coffee and a bacon roll and I'm there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-14 06:03:19 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-4-14 00:57
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) are the bane of aircraft flights in the past 30 years or so.  Really  ...

Yes terrible news wasnt it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-14 06:05:06 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2018-4-11 00:37
If I fly for work, I refuse to fly coach. Hotel must also be good enough for comfortable sleep and ...

Well done with the weight, I could do with losing a few kgs myself. 10 and I'd be a stick insect

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.