Views: 71768|Replies: 276

How to treat chinese poems?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-1 10:03:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-4-1 10:09

Now on the CCTV there is a new popular culture program ‘经典咏流传'------------'Classic-reading-passing on‘? ---------Ancient poems are read in a musical way so that they would easily pass on from generation to generation forever!

First I appreciate the TV authorities who have made great effort to promote our ancient tradition to the world. In that program a four-year-old boy could recite many long poems whose magic ability surprised everyone!-------------The special show let me think more about the culture difference between China and the west:

Each Chinese character is a painting and Chinese text goes like Tv drama, you would see beautiful scenery through reading and you could indirectly feel the author’s inside feelings since Chinese often express their idea in such curved way! Even language-professors usually spend hours on explaining what a poem really mean!  But at the end of the lecture, I am afraid that you have only understood half of the truth!

--------In the other ‘world’, western friends always say something in simple words which are easy to understand without any doubt.

It seems that:On the international banquet, the Chinese dish has too many tastes since we have cooked it with complicated herbs while the western dish is usually made of one kind of vegetable or meat with pure flavor!

I do wish fellow chinese learn more from foreigners and try to make the textbooks more plain than before!  At the same time, I have advice to western friends: You must prepare colorful-imagination-ability before you enter Chinese culture-world!

Let's make or take life as simple as possible! That would save you a lot of unnecessary troubles. ---------------It is precious experience that I have learned from Mom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-1 10:23:42 |Display all floors
It is said China has 20000 ancient poems that is equal to the number of Chinese characters!-------I think it is also useful and practical to introduce the special structure of each word to kids through which children could learn tradition culture with more pleasure.

Too much poem-learning is unfit for ‘babies' whose ’stomach‘ would be hurt if you take them as adults!---------------Is it too early to ask that little boy to make a remark on Chinese-brush-painting?
Let's make or take life as simple as possible! That would save you a lot of unnecessary troubles. ---------------It is precious experience that I have learned from Mom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-1 14:26:09 |Display all floors
I began to learn ancient poems when I was in junior Middle-school that was a writing about how the people cut down tall tree with primary simple tool in loud noise. That was hard for me to finish the whole text without concrete language background!
In senior Middle-school, my eldest brother bought me a book 《Three-hundred-Tang-poems>> : I had forced myself to read through it with great enthusiasm but ended with little interest! ----------------I felt that those texts were far away from the reality and the wording was quite different from the modern oral way!

It is said nobody could overtake ancient writers on poem. ------------------Language is used to speak for practical usage, it is enough for us to read some of them for pleasure and not necessary to frequently quote them in conversation. ----------Searu thinks most Chinese could not correctly deal with the poem-issue who have wasted much time and energy on the job.  That would lead the young be satisfied with half-understanding to books when they do lessons!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-1 16:23:02 |Display all floors

If contemporary Chinese people cannot compose NEW poems of their own, then they have lost their contact to their traditional culture and no amount of memorising and reciting old poems can inject sophistication and culture into these people.

Westerners have never stopped producing poems. Not even by the 21st century. They have made poems for thousands of years.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-1 16:26:47 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-4-1 14:26
I began to learn ancient poems when I was in junior Middle-school that was a writing about how the p ...

Quoting SEARU:

It is said nobody could overtake ancient writers on poem.

"Could"? You mean "can", do you?

Don't believe the hype! How do you "overtake writers on poems"? Today you can write as expressive poems as ancient writers did.

Writing in verses is not about writing in a flowery language. Rather it is about condensing a message into fewer words than prose texts contain.

Chinese people would benefit a lot if they learnt how to compose poems - English or Chinese - in order to learn how to convey messages more economically and accurately.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-1 16:33:26 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-1 16:48:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-1 16:23
If contemporary Chinese people cannot compose NEW poems of their own, then they have lost their co ...

Partly agree with you! Real poem should have beautiful outlook in construction and meaningful sense on philosophy which could be thought as master-piece for generations! -----------For most readers, not all of them would become professional poet. So we learn poems to get sharp skill on language then we would be able to use more accurate words to express our ideas in daily-life!

The problem is that in chinese education field, not all teachers are strict with their words that habit has made fatal loss for our nation!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.