Author: ceciliazhang

Should looted relics be put up for auction?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-3-30 14:04:08 |Display all floors
kevinruud Post time: 2018-3-30 11:29
If the country of origin were able to keep the treasures, how could they have been taken away? Treas ...

I saw this robber's mentality in your post. I can rob you of what you cannot care for. That's totally absurd. The artifacts should belong to the country where they were found, and with the country's permission they can be allowed to travel to other countries as "special exibits". If a country cannot properly house and care for an artifact, its fine if the country is OK with it to keep it temporarily in other countries' museums and should be given back to their country of origin until it is capable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-30 15:52:35 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-3-30 14:04
I saw this robber's mentality in your post. I can rob you of what you cannot care for. That's tota ...

Please stay calm and don't judge me, OK?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-30 23:12:38 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-3-30 10:25
Unfortunately many of the masterpieces in the museums around the world were stolen. I hope all the ...

all we can do is wish ...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-1 13:03:47 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-3-29 10:10
Call for return

As news of the auction quickly swept through Chinese social media, many netizens p ...

Madam China enjoys the same freedom to bid for the item as does everyone else.

She has the money.

She herself is gulty of plunders, lootings, thefts many times over and has never returned that which she took by force.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-1 13:09:38 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2018-3-29 10:31
I can't understand why a country which owns a relic stolen from it should have to pay ruinous sums t ...
so that it can be brought home of this something that is the historical soul of a unique culture.  Maybe the thieving country has no culture in the first place.

If looting a foreign emperor's palace and removing some items from that emperor's household is a sign of lack of culture to you, then you just stated that China has no culture.

Weren't the Manchus a foreign people that took China by force and enriched their rulers for three centuries? And weren't the soldiers under Qin Shi Huangdi's dictatorship invaders and looters that conquered and brutalized six countries to bring them under one central ruling power?

There, just spoken my mind not in defence of ANY looting, thieving nation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-1 13:13:51 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-3-29 11:18
India has been demanding the return of Koh-i-noor, the most famous diamond, stolen by Anglos.

Pra ...

You have totally isinterpreted Mr Cameron's statement.

In point of fact, the backward peoples around the world who today clamour for the return of ancient treasures taken out of their realms by foreigners are guilty of neglect, lack of interest in their cultural relics and often destroyed their own cultural legacies. China for example has probably destroyed the nost of its cultural and historic articles throughout history, most memorably in the 20th century when youthful punks roamed the nation in search of old institutions which they were told represent "evil", to destroy them.

Thanks to Western looters, many such old artefacts have been preserved for posterity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-1 15:52:59 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-1 13:09
If looting a foreign emperor's palace and removing some items from that emperor's household is a ...

Everybody knows you are a liar, and now we know you are also taken with theft.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.