Views: 1906|Replies: 6

Chinese police mom records baby's life with pencil drawings [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-3-22 09:28:51 |Display all floors

(CGTN) Witnessing the growth of one's offspring is probably the happiest experience for every parent, but not everyone can go on this journey for a multitude of reasons – and Wang Ting is one of them.

Wang has been a policewoman in the eastern Chinese city of Ningbo for eight years, and working in the force means that she has little time for anything else. However, her hectic schedule did not stop her from recording her daughter's growth in her own very special way: Drawing pictures of her baby.

Wang prefers such a time-consuming method over using smartphones and digital cameras because it helps her connect with her child.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-22 09:35:54 |Display all floors

Wang’s drawing of her daughter. /Photo via Qianjiang Evening News

Wang and her husband are both police officers, and a nine-to-five shift is a luxury they cannot afford.

She gave birth to her daughter Xiaonuomi in March 2016, but after her maternity leave was over, Wang had to leave her newborn with the care of her parents.

The police officer still remembers the first time when Xiaonuomi was away; she couldn’t hold her tears when she saw the photo her father had sent.

"I missed her so much. But I had no other choice," Wang said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-22 09:36:18 |Display all floors

Wang often returned on weekends to her hometown to see Xiaonuomi, but there were times when she could not hold her daughter in her arms for as long as two weeks because of the workload. So Wang decided that she had to find a way to keep records of her daughter's life.

She started to use some colored pencils to draw portraits. "Maybe they're not as vivid as photographs, but they're meaningful for me," Wang said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-22 09:36:43 |Display all floors

At the end of each month, Wang reflects on all the moments she spent with Xiaonuomi, and selects the most special to paint.

In her paintings there are so many firsts – Xiaonuomi’s first bite of pineapple, her first time on a plane, and her first Halloween costume.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-22 09:37:06 |Display all floors

Wang’s painting of her daughter. / Qianjiang Evening News Photo

Wang now has 12 drawings, and she's still going strong.

When talking about her future plans, Wang said "I hope this can be a part of Xiaonuomi's growth. Maybe I will keep on till the day she gets married."

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-22 10:02:44 |Display all floors
Congratulations to Madam Wang for the birth of her child. And my heartfelt good wishes for a happy life in future and all family members.

It is particularly heart-warming to see a woman NOT shooting photos of her child serially. The child will have fonder memories of his early days later when he gets to admire those artistic pieces of drawing. This mother shows the way to other mothers: You need to take YOUR time to care for your child and to create lasting images. Mere photographs are just a lifeless fad.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.