Views: 11770|Replies: 45

Living in Hong Kong as an Expat [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-3-13 11:32:54 |Display all floors
By Katrin Büchenbacher

I took a short break in Hong Kong recently, and, while I loved exploring the city, there was one thing that gave me culture shock: local expat life.

I had booked an Airbnb on Discovery Bay, Lantau Island, which, in retrospect, was a mistake.

"Disco Bay" is a small satellite town for the very affluent, or at least those who are on the way to becoming it.

Over 90 percent of the people I saw there were Europeans or Americans, which meant the locals were in the minority. After Beijing, where non-Chinese get swallowed up by 21 million natives, I was surprised to find myself in an environment where suddenly everyone looked like me again.

The first people I met on the street were Germans, so I could ask in my native tongue if there were any restaurants open at that time of night, a first for me in Asia. When I arrived at the "Plaza," I was surprised to find all kinds of food - French, Italian, Indian - but no Cantonese restaurant. My first meal in Hong Kong, therefore, turned out to be samosa instead of barbecue pork bao.

When we returned home, we passed two pubs where drunken English people were watching a football game. Was I really in Hong Kong?

The next day, the first thing I did was to leave on a ferry. On the walk to the pier, I passed a few housing complexes. I didn't see any cars, but every household seemed to have their own golf cart. Two little boys were taking a walk with their Filipina nanny, while tall, skinny young moms and dads were running up and down the hills, wearing luridly expensive sports outfits. A bunch of teenagers walked into Subway to order a sandwich. They didn't bother to say hello in Cantonese but ordered straight away in English.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do" is how I live as an expat in China and show respect to a country that welcomes me.

Beijing does not leave me much choice anyway. To navigate life in Beijing, it is just easier to learn the language and adapt. I chose to live in China to immerse myself in the local culture.

This does not seem to be the case for Hong Kong expats. If they do not want to learn Cantonese or Putonghua, and continue to live the same lifestyle they had back home, why move abroad in the first place?

In Kowloon, finally in a dim sum restaurant, I was determined to prove to the staff that I was not one of "them." I would speak Chinese.

Even with Cantonese being their mother tongue, they would be able to understand me and appreciate the effort, but the waitress just stared at me in confusion and rushed off to grab one of her colleagues. She almost seemed offended.

"This is an international business town," her colleague explained to me. "You can use English here," she said, looking down at me with her eyebrows raised.

I thought of the Beijing taxi driver, who almost jumped out of his seat when seeing me, saying that he thought I was Chinese when he had talked to me on the phone earlier, complimenting me on my language skills. And I just wanted to go home.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-3-13 12:32:57 |Display all floors
I avoid other expats like the plague. Fortunately it's not hard to do here in Guilin.
But I would welcome a Subway sandwich shop even though they discontinued their
best bread, honey oat.
Even more so I'd welcome a Taco Bell. I see they are making a comeback here in China
but they haven't reach Guilin yet.
My next kitchen appliance will be a meat grinder so I can make hamburger meat, something
that is not even available at the Walmart here. I haven't been able to make chili since I left
the US.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-13 14:11:34 |Display all floors
There is still a hangover from the colonial days before 1997.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-13 15:04:59 |Display all floors
Well, this is a silly post. Where did Frau Büchenbacher post this comment of hers? In the Schwarzwälder Tagblatt??? Or does she speak Deutsch at all?

I doubt she is who she says she is. There are several inconsistencies in her silly post.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-13 15:07:12 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-3-13 15:04
Well, this is a silly post. Where did Frau Büchenbacher post this comment of hers? In the Schwarzw ...

The first inconsistency is her claim that 90% of the residents at Discovery Bay are international residents.
Well, doesn't she know that Discovery Bay was built long before Hong Kong was given to China in 1997? It was a model residential area away from downtown Hong Kong for the upwardly mobile and successful. Guess what: the vast majority of buyers were CHINESE.

If today these Chinese sublet their apartments and villas to international residents, then don't blame the tenants for this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-13 15:09:46 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-3-13 15:07
The first inconsistency is her claim that 90% of the residents at Discovery Bay are international  ...

Finally, Frau Büchelbacher, falls Sie wirklich Chinesisch sprechen, warum zum Teufel sprechen Sie es so unverständlich, dass man Ihnen antwortet:

"This is an international business town," her colleague explained to me. "You can use English here," she said, looking down at me with her eyebrows raised.

I absolutely doubt this scene happened in Kowloon. The waitress you tried to speak your personalized version of Cantonese to probably was a Mainlander who didn't understand a word of it.

You need to speak Mandarin, gnädige Frau!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-14 10:28:55 |Display all floors

I am convinced the original writer is a Chinese passing herself off as a German.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.