Author: seneca

Warming Sunrays In One's Life [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-10 08:21:46 |Display all floors

Have you ever been given a free lift in China? Can you imagine hitch-hiking across this country, or just from one town to another/ I cannot, but I have often been offered a free ride impromptu by sometimes total strangers, and not for money at all.

In early summer of 2017, for example, I stood for a long time at the bus stop to get a paid lift downtown but the bus kept not coming. We have an extremely erratic bus service. You can spend up to one hour and a half waiting for one. I dan walk to my destination in half an hour

So I was a little surprised when this woman came out of a side door to the four-star hotel next to the bus stop and asked me, "nin qu nar?" I answered her I wanted to go to the bus stop called "Post Office" and she scurried away without a further comment.

Ten minutes later, a car sidled up next to me with the right-side window lowered and the same woman sitting behind her steering wheel. "Go to Post Office... bu yao qian..." she said in mixed English and Chinese.  

I sat inside her car, a very cramped seat with a load of hotel laundry on the back seat presssing against my head. The traffic was heavy and her driving skills were not above suspicion. But she was cheerful and happy to give this laowai a free ride, and I was enormously grateful to make it downtown after long last.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-15 08:12:55 |Display all floors

The other day, as I was travelling by bus to the shopping area of our town, I got up and swung y backpack onto my shoulder. It's always a struggle to get my arms through the straps. Then this elderly passenger got up to, yes: to help me get my arms through the straps of my backpack.

it was a tiny gesture but a powerful one. Few other passengers ever show any consideration towards their fellow passengers. Did my being a non-Chinese help? Very possibly so. I smiled broadly at him and thanked him for his help. He replied, "Bu keqi!"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.