Author: ceciliazhang

Happy Women's Day! [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-3-8 18:41:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-3-8 02:43
SoftAngel Post time: 2018-3-8 00:39
Yes, it is OUR holiday, but without extra pay or day off, what makes the difference? Why is the gov  ...

I am a father but never got "Father's Day" off in the US.
Why can't the US afford to give people a day off on Mother's Day or Father's Day?
I never even heard of Women's Day until I came to China.
That's not a day off in the US either and probably not in the entire world.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2018-3-8 19:03:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2018-3-8 19:05
robert237 Post time: 2018-3-8 18:41
Why can't the US afford to give people a  ...

1. In China since 2014, women are entitled to a half day holiday for Women's Day.

2. 27 countries (mainly former Soviet republics) have adopted International Women's Day as a national holiday; and it is widely observed in several others.

3. It is often said that the date chosen for International Women's Day marks a mass protest that took place in New York on 8 March 1857, when women from sewing and shoe factories demonstrated for the same rights as men. Men had recently won a 10 hour workday, but women had been overlooked in the legislation and left on a 16 hour workday. As as a result 8 March became a traditional day for regular demonstrations in the US and Europe.

However, recent reports have cast doubt on whether this event ever took place, with newspapers of the time not reporting any such march.

4. Given how the holiday began in Russia, a more plausible source for the date is 1917 when Russian women marched to protest for 'Bread and Peace' on the last Sunday in February (which was 8 March in the Gregorian calendar in use in the rest of Europe). This march contributed to the Czar abdicating four days later and the new government granting women the right to vote. It would be three years later, before women in the US had the same rights.

5. In Russia, Women's Day is a significant and popular holiday. Its source in the events of 1917 that were part of the Russian revolution meant it was a holiday that was promoted by the Soviet regime.

The day first became a national holiday in 1965.

It is traditional on this holiday to present women with gifts and flowers to express appreciation for their work, love and devotion. It can be regarded as the same as mixing up elements of Mother's Day combined with some aspects of Valentine's Day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-8 19:23:54 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2018-3-8 03:03
1. In China since 2014, women are entitled to a half day holiday for Women's Day.

2. 27 cou ...

I did not know that.

In the US it has been largely ignored but I do see news stories about marches planned for March 8th.
It certainly isn't as widely known as Father's Day or Mother's Day which aren't give any special
consideration by employers.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-8 21:34:58 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-3-8 18:41
Why can't the US afford to give people a  ...

Perhaps you have  been to a "fakel" US because what Chinese know about either "Women's Day" or "Father's Day" is imported from the US.
Your dear President has accused CNN and other media outlets to report "fake news", so it might have been the case for you. Try to contact the local police to confirm your right for legal stay,haha!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-8 22:02:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-3-8 06:03
SoftAngel Post time: 2018-3-8 05:34
Perhaps you have  been to a "fakel" US because what Chinese know about either "Women's Day" or "Fa ...

Nice try at Chinglish western propagandist.
Who's ghost are you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.