Views: 4234|Replies: 23

Thunderstorm here in Guilin [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-2-27 23:59:43 |Display all floors
The beauty of an early year's thunder shower.
It's raining hard here in Guilin. The air is warm and moist.
It seems tropic air is finally battling the cold, dry air of winter.
If for only the change I welcome the deluge and the lightening. At least it's not freaking cold at night. At least not for now.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-2-28 01:28:50 |Display all floors
Guilin is pretty warm in winter, if memory serves me right it gets down to about 8°C in January and February.  That's warmer than Perth and a hell of a lot warmer than where I grew up in the UK and Canada.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-28 10:39:58 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-2-28 01:28
Guilin is pretty warm in winter, if memory serves me right it gets down to about 8°C in January and ...

When my sister visited me in China ten years ago I took her to Guilin, then north to the rice terraces in the hills there. It was February, and we saw a thin cover of snow on the ground. We stayed in a timber house. There was no heating. It was most uncomfortable, and Guilin is not much better even if the temperature is around 8 C.

In NANNING it is considerably warmer in winter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-28 12:25:42 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-2-27 09:28
Guilin is pretty warm in winter, if memory serves me right it gets down to about 8°C in January and ...

This has been a much colder than usual winter according to my brother in law and according to the weather records.
It's gotten down below zero several times and for almost two months (early December to early February) it was mostly 3 to 0 at night.
Our bedroom is heated (we bought an electric radiator heater) but getting out of the shower at night
is the worst. It reminded me of when my dad would take me camping in the winter.
It's 21 right now which seems like a heat wave compared to what we've had. It's supposed to get up
to 27 by Sunday, all of the days from now until Sunday with some rain. But I'd much rather it be rainy
and warm then gloomy and cold.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-2-28 13:04:55 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-2-28 12:25
This has been a much colder than usual winter according to my brother in law and according to the  ...

That's about the same as a regular winter in Perth.  When I lived in Canada the winter average was -1.8/°C with most nights being -11°C to -25°C though one Christmas it hit -50°C.

The UK wasn't as cold but the winter was far longer than the USA, first snow arriving around November and final slows ending in late April a lot of the time.

Getting out of a shower in to a cold room is no fun, I highly recommend an extractor with halogen heat lamps, they work very well in such situations.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-28 13:18:59 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-2-27 21:04
That's about the same as a regular winter in Perth.  When I lived in Canada the winter average was ...

I'm from Kansas City, Missouri where the winters are pretty cold and getting 10 to 40 cm of snow is not unusual. The coldest I remember it getting was -23C. One winter there was a stretch where it never
got above -15C for nearly a week. But those were exceptions. In the dead of winter it was common for
the low to be -5C and the high around 2C. But there were always cold snaps where it would get colder.
I remember one time when my dad took me deer hunting and it was only -10C. Now that was one
miserable trip. Another time he took me fishing and the rain and sleet would hit the boat and freeze.
Another miserable trip. I never did like getting out in the cold and could never figure out why people
pay good money to go snow skiing. All the time and trouble and crowds and expense just to slide down
a mountain for a few minutes. Crazy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-28 19:57:23 |Display all floors
The problem with Guilin weather is not the temperature, but humidity, no proper heating nor insulation. People keep their windows open all the time.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.