Views: 63150|Replies: 30

What is greedy? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-12 23:00:08 |Display all floors
As the Chinese traditional Spring festival is just around the corner with people are busy to prepare good food for the family-reunion, the special character 馋 arises my great interest!-----------which first part is the simple form of 食(food); 免 means ‘avoiding’; the bottom two drops shape like what flowing down out of the mouth when  you see some good food in hunger!------------馋 is so funny that shows: 'Before delicious dish, anyone could not avoid dropping of saliva! '

We learn language to use it as smart tool for the thinking labor work on our own business!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-13 00:32:09 |Display all floors
Some western friends may feel strange to my description above who think that is not graceful to talk about saliva! ----------Here you had better take me as a doctor whose advice is good for your health!

My 82-year-old uncle-in-law still has perfect teeth and his experience is:  'Often use the tongue to brush teeth since he belives saliva is the best tooth-paste that could kill bacteria around the chewing tools!'  Furthermore the old man always pretends to chew candy through the way more saliva would be produced that is good for digestion!

Yes, another Chinese character 活(alive)could explain the secret: The left of 活 shapes like streams to the river(江)which represents the saliva glands; 舌 is tongue. ---------Saliva   flows to the tongue from the glands that shows you are alive! -----------Life could live without saliva!
We learn language to use it as smart tool for the thinking labor work on our own business!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-13 11:34:15 |Display all floors
So why did you title this thread "Greedy"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-13 12:28:05 |Display all floors
What is the left part of that word called, it's a radical, what is it called?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-13 20:50:28 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-2-13 11:34
So why did you title this thread "Greedy"?

May I answer your question in this way?:
When I was young, people were not well off who often worried about food, clothing, firewood, etc. Children always looked forward to the coming of the Spring Festival that might mean delicious dishes, beautiful dress and flowers for girls while crackers to boys!  So there was a strong relationship between greed and the important festival which was the sensitive atmosphere of the new-year celebration!
I have posted many writings on some interesting Chinese characters which special-instructure  could speak out their mind!
I wish 馋 could become the key to unlock the door of our culture  for reader-friends on the festival!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-13 21:06:04 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-2-13 12:28
What is the left part of that word called, it's a radical, what is it called?

It is  called 食字旁('food-character component' for the side of a character.) -------For more examples:饭(meal), 饮(drink),饱(full),饥(hunger) etc.
  All the words above have something to do with food!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-14 11:24:25 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-2-13 21:06
It is  called 食字旁('food-character component' for the side of a character.) -------For more exa ...

Thanks; what is 食字旁 in hanyu pinyin?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.