Author: ceciliazhang

Is it appropriate to sing national anthem to solve problems? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-11 11:11:54 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2018-2-2 07:23
Would the Japanese detain an American citizen for arguing over a flight delay? Me thinks not.

I bet they would (with great pleasure!). Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-11 16:50:17 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2018-2-11 11:11
I bet they would (with great pleasure!). Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Well a minority perhaps - most Japanese are more American than the Americans though. Japanese were never the best. Elite Chinese better than elite Japanese all through history. Chinese elites more noble. But yeah - its funny that you can nuke a nation and before you known it its not a problem at all. And Japanese are pretty cranky traditionally hey. I would say crankier pre-WW2 than modern libertarian American patriot types. I wonder how long it would take them to forget about it if USA was ever to get nuked. Probably no more than a generation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-12 05:44:31 |Display all floors
The national anthem of China was written by Tien Han in 1934 and put to music by Nie Er, which became the theme song of a film, "Children of Troubled Times".  Tien Han was imprisoned by the Nationalist government in 1935, while Nie Er fled to Russia, but drowned enroute, while swimming at the beach in Japan, under mysterious circumstances, on July 17, 1935, at the young age of 23 years.  Tien Han lived to a full 70 years, but died in jail on 10 December 1968 at the height of the cultural revolution.  The national anthem was suspended and temporarily replaced by "The East Is Red", though eventually restored in 1982, and made part of the constitution in 2004.  

But the backdrop of the film "Children of Troubled Times" was the largely unknown First Shanghai Incident of January 28, 1932, also known as the 128 Incident, which featured the first time an aircraft carrier was used to bomb civilians in a densely populated city such as Shanghai, by . . . you guessed it . . . Japan.

Who else?

On January 18, 1935, five Japanese monks were beaten by Chinese civilians.  One of the monks died.  Two had critical injuries.  And, the Japanese factory nearby was burned down by the crowd.  Historians are unsure if this was an orchestrated false flag event by the Japanese, much like the Mukden Incident, as it led to a de facto invasion of Shanghai, first by 7,000 troops, eventually increased to some 90,000 Japanese soldiers, capped by the bombing of Shanghai by a Japanese carrier on January 28, 1935.

And guess what Tien Han could only think of in such circumstances . . . "Rise up!"  What was what the March of the Volunteers was all about.  So, the passengers should reflect on the gravity of the situation before singing their national anthem.  One delayed flight is not worth the mention, compared with what their forebears suffered.  Of course, the Nanjing Massacre, preceded by the Second Shanghai Incident of 1937, made all this pale into the background of what the Japanese did to China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-12 10:28:39 |Display all floors
The Chinese national anthem begins with "Rise up!"  So, naturally, when faced with injustice and humiliation by a foreign power, it comes to mind most easily.  It was written in 1934 in response to the Japanese invasion of Shanghai on January 28, 1932, on the pretext of redressing the beating of five Japanese monks and the burning down of a Japanese factory in Shanghai on January 18, 1932.  Shanghai had the dubious honor of being the first city to experience the terrorizing of civilians with carpet bombing by planes from an aircraft carrier, sent by its favorite neighbor, Japan.  Chiang had to call in the 19th Route Army and the 5th Army to defend the city, while he relocated the capital from Nanjing to Luoyang as a precaution.  As expected, the Chinese were forced to withdraw under the terms of a ceasefire.  Of course, modern China is not so easily invaded and trampled upon.  But isn't it good for the ordinary people to remember the spirit of the founding of their government, when faced with abuse and humiliation in Japan?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.