Author: ceciliazhang

Why do some Western people want to live in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-5 00:55:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-2-2 14:13
Why does the title suggesdt only Westerners want to live in China?

I have known plenty of Africa ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 00:56:40 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-2-2 17:04
US dollars go a lot further here in China. Especially if you're retired like I am.
I live a much bet ...

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2018-2-5 07:41:20 |Display all floors
Well, first, there aren't so many Westerners living in Central China where I live.  In the city where I live with a population of over 10 million people, I rarely see another foreigner. According to a report from the Foreign Experts Bureau here in Henan, there are less than 5,000 foreigners who live in a population of 94 million Chinese people. Less than 1,000 of them are teachers and about a third of those teach at one university that is American owned. When I came here in 2011, there were far more foreigners here. I seriously doubt that any are here for the money unless they are working for a U.S. based company that has offered them the opportunity to live here. Foreign teachers' salaries are close to the lowest in the world. I never met a foreign teacher who came here for money. Speaking only for myself, I came here because it was a wonderful opportunity to have a positive impact in the lives of Chinese students. I had owned a very successful private school in America for 15 years and had semi-retired. I planned to come here for a year, explore and experience the culture and then, go back to my comfortable life in America. However, when I came here and saw the enormous need for quality English education, I decided to stay just one more year. Now, it has been 7 years and I have no plans of returning to America except to visit my family occasionally. A passion grew in my heart and mind to do all I can to help Chinese students grow their English skills and master the language. I love it. I love what I do. I work as hard as I want (which is a lot) and have learned to love the Chinese people and appreciate this great country. I've met with challenges (i.e. people who don't like Americans, thieves and scammers, etc.), but, I'm lucky enough to have traveled much of the world (26 countries) and know how to tolerate and adjust to adverse situations. China certainly has its challenges and difficulties for foreigners, but, to be able to place a Chinese student in a top world university as a result of your effort and their hard work, I can say, 'it is worth it.'
If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 10:49:32 |Display all floors
is money! Chinese praise western people and western people knew this!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 12:39:33 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2018-2-5 07:41
Well, first, there aren't so many Westerners living in Central China where I live.  In the city wher ...
I've met with challenges (i.e. people who don't like Americans, thieves and scammers, etc.),

Chinese do not actually hate foreigners (or Americans for that matter) but only those with superior attitude and trying to change China according to their rules. I must say you are doing a good thing in China and I am sure you have made a lot of Chinese friends. Who would not want foreigners like you?

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2018-2-5 17:36:18 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2018-2-5 12:39
Chinese do not actually hate foreigners (or Americans for that matter) but only those with super ...

Thank you. No one can change any country. I always try to emphasize that just because there are some haters, thieves and scammers, they certainly don't represent the vast majority of people (in any country). Most people are honest, kind and want to do the right thing. There are those who specifically target foreigners for scamming and stealing. Of course, I've observed them doing much worse to their fellow Chinese. They know that there are little to no consequences for their actions. There seems to be an assumption that 'all foreigners are rich.' I'm not even sure what most people think by saying someone is 'rich' (a very ambiguous word). A word used out of naivety and lack of any depth of thinking. 'Rich', in my way of thinking is a matter of attitude and happiness in life. In that regard, I am 'very rich.' But, I digress. Thanks again for your comment.
If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 20:05:33 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-2-2 17:04
US dollars go a lot further here in China. Especially if you're retired like I am.
I live a much bet ...

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.