Author: ceciliazhang

Why do some Western people want to live in China?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-2-2 17:04:15 |Display all floors
US dollars go a lot further here in China. Especially if you're retired like I am.
I live a much better life here in China than I could in the US on my retirement.
My wife is Chinese so I don't have to worry about the language barrier.
I don't miss the rat race or the phony baloney politics of the US which is really an oligarchy.
I also don't miss all the violence, road rage, and gun play in the US.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-3 03:50:40 |Display all floors
Please don't limit Western to only American/Canadian/British. The world is bigger then just the Anglosaxions. And except for Canada, the USA and the UK are not so developed as most Chinese think. Health care and social care are very poor in the USA and the UK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-3 04:20:22 |Display all floors
Jarek Post time: 2018-2-3 03:50
Please don't limit Western to only American/Canadian/British. The world is bigger then just the Angl ...

if I may ask....U lived in CN for how long and as what
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-4 01:41:48 |Display all floors
China is a large place.
I'd hate living in a dirty, messy town like Beijing or Shanghai. Second and third tier cities are much more appealing to me.
There are many things I love about China - good food, people with a strong entrepreneurial spirit, thousands of years of history and philosophy to discover while learning Chinese, which is an incredibly versatile language when it comes to philological concepts.

What I don't like is that as a finance professional, working in China effectively means living in one of those large cities I don't like, slow international internet connections and how cold some people are towards the poor (although that is a global problem, it's especially visible in China as rich and poor are so close). An issue that hopefully will get resolved to a certain degree by curbing real estate speculation...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-4 04:22:34 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2018-2-2 21:20
if I may ask....U lived in CN for how long and as what

In 2012, lived for one year in Nanning, Guangxi Autonomous Region. Worked as Quality Leader for Alnan Aluminum Fabrication Company. A Chinese producer of Aluminum products. Enjoyed it very much as Nanning is doesn't have a large expat community nor expat infrastructure. So I had a lot of chinese friends and very few international friends. Loved the food, the climate and the people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-4 11:18:31 |Display all floors
why was my post automatically sent to trash?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-4 19:14:05 |Display all floors
cheers111 Post time: 2018-2-4 04:18
why was my post automatically sent to trash?

No idea. Try again.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.