Views: 1084|Replies: 6

Why not have some snakes as pets? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-25 17:44:23 |Display all floors

A lover of exotic animals died of asphyxia after his 8ft long pet African rock python called Tiny wrapped itself around him, a coroner has ruled.

Dan Brandon was found dead by his mother, Babs, in his bedroom in Hampshire, with the python concealed close by.

The coroner for north-east Hampshire, Andrew Bradley, recorded a verdict of misadventure, saying he believed the python was “instrumental” in Brandon’s death. He made clear he did not believe the snake had been aggressive towards its owner, but the most likely scenario was that the reptile had been coiling around him in an affectionate way.

Brandon, 31, died in the village of Church Crookham, on 25 August. As well as Tiny, his bedroom was home to another nine snakes and 12 tarantulas.

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 10.41.48.png

The inquest in Basingstoke was told that Brandon was a responsible snake owner who loved his pets. His mother told the inquest that Tiny sometimes appeared aggressive.

She said: “She would get cross and hiss and pretend to strike. He [Brandon] would say: ‘For goodness’ sake, Tiny.’ At other times he would tell me: ‘Mum, you’ve got to come and look, she’s being really good today.’ I don’t think he ever got bit by Tiny.

“He was more wary of Tiny than the other snakes. He said she’s very strong. He had stopped putting her round his neck because she was so strong and unpredictable.”

Since her son’s death, Mrs Brandon has been caring for Tiny. She showed the court a hand injury she had recently suffered when another of his snakes bit her

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-25 17:44:53 |Display all floors
That one would fill a few plates in China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-25 22:23:03 |Display all floors
Darwin award
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-25 22:25:09 |Display all floors
From 2013

An African rock python killed two boys in Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada on August 5, 2013. The boys, who were aged four and six, were sleeping in an apartment above their friend's father's pet store. The python – which had been in a specially made enclosure in the apartment – had escaped, crawled through an air duct, and fallen through a ceiling tile above where the boys were sleeping. Following the incident, the python was euthanized. The python's owner was charged with criminal negligence for not preventing the deaths, but was found not guilty in a jury trial in November 2016.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-26 02:04:22 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2018-1-25 22:25
From 2013

An African rock python killed two boys in Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada on August  ...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-26 08:52:33 |Display all floors
My brother used to keep ca. 60 snakes in dozens of terraria. He had a CITES certificate that allowed him to transport them across Europe's borders and to sell them to zoos. It simply was an exotic hobby. He is cured of it now - it was very time-consuming and costly.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-1 23:56:56 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2018-1-25 22:23
Darwin award

You just made me vomit in my mouth almost. Do you also say 'Zombie Apocalypse' often? I mean for goodness sake.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.