Views: 13791|Replies: 12

Could online classrooms be the answer to teacher shortage in rural China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-22 15:08:42 |Display all floors
(South China Morning Post) One of the biggest barriers to educating China’s rural poor is finding enough teachers willing to take up jobs in remote and impoverished areas, but a group of tech-savvy teachers in the east of the country say they may have a solution.
3.jpg

Over the past 4½ years, Wang Fei and her colleagues have incorporated online lessons into their students’ timetables in various subjects including English, which was not previously offered at their middle school.

Students attend the lessons at school, where a projector screen is set up so they can see their teachers and classmates in other schools in real time via an online learning platform. I believe online learning can offer more opportunities for the rural kids. It will be a fair and balanced approach to ensuring equal access to education. What do you think?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-1-22 18:38:02 |Display all floors
I think it's a great idea.
Only the best will be selected to teach these courses so not only the quantity of students
receiving these courses will increase, the quality of the courses will also increase.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-22 18:49:04 |Display all floors
This is not a new idea. Education by remote means has been used in other countries for many years. There are schools in China already that have developed educational programmes for real-time home study. It is the best solution to the problem of schooling for remote areas and those students who cannot attend a school through disability.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-1-23 06:12:23 |Display all floors
Der.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-23 08:23:27 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-1-22 18:38
I think it's a great idea.
Only the best will be selected to teach these courses so not only the qua ...

"Great idea"? I am astonished, Robert. I truly am.

It is a dehumanised form of "learning", one in which the human factor is disposed of. Learning without people other than the learners? Where do the young learners learn discipline and social manners?

Who makes sure the young learners actually come to class, actually watch the videos and actually do what they need to do? They might soon engage in vandalism.

It's like Jack Ma's idea of boarding schools for the left-behind children: it's not well thought out. Left-behind children should be reunited with their parents working in a city thousands of kilometers away. the schools in cities need to adapt and the hukou system needs to be modernised.

At their vulnerable young age, these children should be shepherded around by adults, not by robots and videos.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-23 09:25:37 |Display all floors
A proper on-line course will also have a local teacher (perhaps not so expert) to help the students discuss and problem-solve the topics.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-23 22:10:19 |Display all floors
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.