Author: SEARU

Chinese students need more practical English! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-18 08:41:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-2-18 08:11
Dictionaries give you static definitions, not fascinating explanations, of things. If you really ...

Dictionary is basic textbook that acts as great language coach for your growth on speaking and thinking! Reading through the special book you could feel the standard of the nation‘s civilization! I appreciate the neat way in which the dictionary tells you story about something that you have never seen!
Reading magazine or newspaper seem like watching a TV drama that is more life-vivid that atmosphere is more attractive than the serious dictionary!-----------That is the reason why I have been hooked on with the Chinadaily for so long! ---------------At the same time, I believe you are more addicted than me!

Ithink you are more drunk!
We learn language to use it as smart tool for the thinking labor work on our own business!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-21 11:54:00 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-2-18 08:41
Dictionary is basic textbook that acts as great language coach for your growth on speaking and thi ...

I agree with you. English dictionary is fine and I like reading too.
Es is often in a drunken stupor.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-25 16:41:50 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-2-18 08:41
Dictionary is basic textbook that acts as great language coach for your growth on speaking and thi ...

Nonsense.

Dictionaries are NOT "textbooks". They are reference books.

If you really want to introduce more practical use of English to Chinese English learners, you should review your own use of English words. A lot of those words are used in wrong contexts by you.

A practical way of learning English is by using English as a medium of instruction. But there are hardly any Chinese teachers who can deliver their lessons in good, plain English and the pupils lack comprehension skills.

The English medium instruction model is in wide use in schools across Hong Kong. However, not all Chinese pupils can follow a lesson on a subject other than English given in English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-25 23:11:42 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-25 16:41
Nonsense.

'Nonsense'?---------My words should have some sense since you have got my meaning!

Dictionary is special book that needs your good skill of language if you want to correctly tell out the true meaning of each word in plain sentence! ----------Each note goes like a wonderful formal text in class. I emphasize the important role of dictionary and take it as basic textbook!

Deeply influenced by dictionary, it is easy for me to express myself in different ways, at least I am brave enough on word-usage and grammar. For this reason sometimes you may feel strange about my wording. I think it is similar to the special English program from the Voice of America!

I wish some of my works  would be adopted into the future English textbook for Chinese students.

We learn language to use it as smart tool for the thinking labor work on our own business!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-25 23:11:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-4-26 09:26
seneca Post time: 2018-4-25
The editor has played a joke on me who had delayed my first reply to your same comment for so long!
Now I have made three answers to your note!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-26 09:20:46 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-25 16:41
Nonsense.

You have got my meaning that show my words have some sense!
Dictionary is special book in which each word need a wonder text to fully explain its meaning and I often feel the modern Internet dictionary goes more logical than the traditional paper-one!  I  also think you could not grasp the spirit of the language if you don't spend enough time on the easy-going lesson.
Maybe deeply influenced the writing style of dictionary, my wording might sound unusual to your ear since I often use extra words to replace the unknown one due to my limited vocabulary!
I enjoy such working method through which I would become more confident to use English for bloging. So your complain could not Peel off my bravery on writing!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-26 10:27:42 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-4-26 09:20
You have got my meaning that show my words have some sense!
Dictionary is special book in which  ...

Most people would agree that Chinese learners of English should get a better product than the one they all receive. Even Chinese people think they get shortchanged by their education. It is even more evident to international observers. When one considers how many hours a week, a year, during your school life you are "taught English", one is shocked by the mediocre result.

Thus far, I guess our beliefs don't differ much.

But you are not a language expert. You are not an English teacher. You are nearing your 60th birth day and are still struggling with the English language. You have adopted the same old-fashioned thinking about learning languages that is national convention.

I never disputed the importance of dictionaries. But I doubt you make the best use of your dictionary.

I  also think you could not grasp the spirit of the language if you don't spend enough time on the easy-going lesson.

I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.