Views: 28967|Replies: 15

Cost of having two children too high for most women [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-12 17:12:32 |Display all floors

More than half of women in the city don't want to have a second child, mainly due to financial pressure, according to a survey by Shanghai Women's Federation.

Of nearly 1,200 women over 18 interviewed, only about 8 percent said they had or planned to have a second child. In contrast, 56.4 percent said they were unwilling to have a second baby, while other 35.4 percent said they were still considering it.

Financial pressure was the main concern for 35.9 percent. Another 21.9 percent said they were afraid their physical condition wouldn't allow them to have one more child.

Just over 13 percent said their houses were too small for two children, while 11.6 percent cited fierce competition for good schooling and 7 percent said they couldn’t find anyone to help take care of two children.  

“I didn’t want one more child,” said 29-year-old Christine Pan, bank worker and mother of a 3-year-old girl. “It was exhausting to have even one baby. My mother helps to take care of my daughter from Monday to Friday because both my husband and I leave work so late.”

The survey also revealed that Shanghai offers a relatively fair workplace for women.

Nearly 74 percent said they hadn't experienced gender discrimination. What mattered the most in workplace was educational background, followed by age.

When being asked about old age, 53.1 percent said they hoped to be cared for at home by their spouse and children. More than 34 percent said they were willing to stay at nursing home and other 31.8 percent said they could manage living alone. Only 12.7 percent said they would like to be cared for by the community.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-12 21:18:19 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-13 09:56:29 |Display all floors
Why would you even categorize a child ... a human life that YOU made ... as an expense? You cannot put a value on your child.

Children are not commodities that you buy and sell on the exchange. They are not impulse purchases from the local market. They are your offspring. People. Human beings that you made. You cannot put a price on that. And if you do ... you should never have been allowed to have children in the first place.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-13 12:15:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-1-14 12:28

Why bother to have 2 children, one is already too many, considering the high cost of health, education, worries about pressure cooker education system, fear of child kidnapping,  fear of failure in gaokao, worries that children might jump off buildings as they often do when faced with poor results, etc etcetc etc.
Why not enjoy  life instead of wasting time on children, changing nappies, breastfeeding, stand in long queues in children hospitals for just a 2 minute consultation with the very busy doctor, messing around with screaming, yelling, kicking, little emperors, having to lug them around,  even on flights and being a public nuisance to other airline passengers?  The Chinese don't know how to enjoy life, they think having a kid or two means plenty of 'mianzi' or face!!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-1-13 15:36:40 |Display all floors
The pressure gets transfered to their child later in life, when they have to put their own futures to one side, and repay a large chunk of money their parents have spent on them..
the bundle of joy now does not last for long
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-14 07:13:34 |Display all floors
The one child policy was right for China (and the world). We need fewer humans - especially poor ones.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-14 10:57:14 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.