Views: 6976|Replies: 9

Why is myopia rising among Chinese kids? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-8 10:35:21 |Display all floors

(Shanghai Daily) Around half of local 10-year-olds suffer from short sight as high myopia has become the top cause of blindness among city residents, doctors told a forum which ended yesterday.

3.jpg

“Myopia prevention and control is far from enough, as the public doesn’t have high awareness,” said Dr Zhou Xingtao of Shanghai Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital.

“For children, one hour of outdoor activity every day can effectively prevent and control myopia. Strong academic pressure, long-time use of computers and iPads and a lack of outdoor exercise can cause myopia.”

Zhou added: “Moreover, vision is not simply judged by eye chart. We suggest parents take children to hospital for regular checks and doctors can give early intervention and treatment.” Zhou said, “Proper treatment can also prevent myopia developing into high myopia, which affects 3 percent of local residents.”

In addition to prevention and control, doctors said surgery is an effective therapy for myopia but warned patients to visit qualified hospitals.

“Not all people are suitable for surgery, which needs strict checks and evaluation,” Zhou said.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-8 15:42:46 |Display all floors
Of course doctors would say "surgeries can help restore eyesight" and such things. I do agree that outdoor activities are vitally important for the human body to stay healthy.
But why doesn't anybody ever comment on the terrible indoor lighting conditions? Electric light simply is unnatural and therefore unhealthy for the eyes. No wonder China has more visually impaired people than any other country. You see the poor conditions under which your school children attend lessons in schools and you know why one in three needs eye glasses.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 19:12:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-1-8 15:42
Of course doctors would say "surgeries can help restore eyesight" and such things. I do agree that o ...

Yes, classrooms need LED lumination.
Refreshed.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-8 21:42:45 |Display all floors
cwdy Post time: 2018-1-8 19:12
Yes, classrooms need LED lumination.

They are actually rather bad for gour eyes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-9 10:57:47 |Display all floors
I am so regret for myopia.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-1-9 13:43:32 |Display all floors
i would not reccomend laser surgery as things can go wrong. A lens implant is the best option to cure myopia, but not sure if china can offer this or not. The good news is technology has advanced so much in correcting eye issues over the last 5 years, and will continue to do so. The bad news is how expensive it is.  
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-9 14:18:32 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2018-1-9 13:43
i would not reccomend laser surgery as things can go wrong. A lens implant is the best option to cur ...

prevention would be better than cure - as with so many things

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.