Views: 3780|Replies: 10

The Future Resides In Glass [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-6 10:19:19 |Display all floors
The year 2018 is off to a shaky start. I notice that I can no longer access the Singaporean Strait Times. It is a harmless and bland publication with nary any news from China but it has gone cold here in China.

In 2015, the South China Morning Post was rendered inaccessible by the Chinese authorities. You can buy the paper copy but not access their Internet version.

This morning I was unable to read SPIEGEL online. Until 2016, Le Monde dot fr also was banned in China. We know that the New York Times is forbidden to be read in China and we remember the juicy story behind that ban (involving a former prime minister's economic situation).

I then read a nice article about Shanghai in the Pakistani daily, Dawn online. The author had lived in the U.S.A. as a Pakistani emigrant. Now, emboldened by China's embracing of Pakistan, he went to visit China with his daughter. He quickly learnt that although China calls Pakistanis "brothers", it does not treat them exactly as brothers. Pakistanis can visit China only in groups. Then they will be shepherded around, be monitored and forced to visit shopping malls (the tour guides will be happy for the commissions).

Meanwhile, China is building glass-bottomed bridges across the few natural sights still relatively intact in China. A "glass structure" is coming up in the whole of China courtesy of the Internet: you are encouraged to buy and pay with the help of your mobile phone. You get viewed by millions of video cameras in public. There are shops you can only enter with the help of a mobile phone. These shops are unmanned. The Chinese are proud of them. But the traces you leave everywhere as you pay with your mobile phone can enable monitors to follow you from the tiniest ten-house villages to a metropolis and the border or airport. You become a moving target. The Internet and mobile telephony are getting married to Artificial Intelligence. In a short few years human intelligence will become obsolete. We will no longer need to think, to read news, to be educated. We will be happy vegetables living in a glass house.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-7 11:59:22 |Display all floors

Now CNN is not available online in my part of China. What nest? The CD?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 00:40:02 |Display all floors
It is too early to say it's good or bad, the result still remains to be seen.
Refreshed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 07:13:45 |Display all floors
cwdy Post time: 2018-1-8 00:40
It is too early to say it's good or bad, the result still remains to be seen.

"Good" or "bad" - I didn't pose this question. These are monosyllables that have no meaning when applied to the topic at hand here The situation is in flux. You can rejoice at these technological marvels; others may be wary and suspicious of the intentions behind. Of course, some of the intentions may be "good" too. But in the end we are witnessing the creation of a Brave New World. Go read "1984" or "Animal Farm" to get an idea of what I am driving at.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 19:17:13 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-1-8 07:13
"Good" or "bad" - I didn't pose this question. These are monosyllables that have no meaning when a ...

Hayek and his sort are wrong.
Refreshed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 21:49:48 |Display all floors
cwdy Post time: 2018-1-8 19:17
Hayek and his sort are wrong.

I do not know what you might mean. Do you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 21:59:07 |Display all floors
AsianInTheWest Post time: 2018-1-8 09:12
seneca - the Caucasian racist instigator of chaos. Western media = fake news

That is why they are b ...

Hy Buddy, CHangabulla or whichever name you liked best,

how about yourself? Don't tell us you are posting here for free! Some pays your keep otherwise you would have starved to death eons ago. You are way too dumb to man a broom and sweep the floor so posting your tripe here is your most lucrative way of making money.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.