Views: 6008|Replies: 12

China is Dysgenic, not Eugenic [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-5 13:18:35 |Display all floors
China is Dysgenic, not Eugenic

by Lobsters

In response to the following quote:

In China successful men had concubines. During the Ming Dynasty, there was an official process for the empire to select among the population the most fit women to become the Imperial Concubines and breed with the Emperor. For instance, the Emperor Yingzong of Ming had 22 consorts who gave birth to 9 sons and 10 daughters. There is a very good reason why the mean IQ of China is so much higher than any other population on earth. There were engaged in a large scale selective breading process that gave more children to higher status individuals.

During a defined chronological period, the hundreds of millions of Chinese would be ruled by a single Emperor. How could just one Emperor's personal mating practices affect the overall gene pool consisting of hundreds of millions of Chinese? Your hypothesis does not appear valid to me. I am more inclined to accept the model that the Chinese's colder-climate led to their higher median intelligence, similar to the Caucasians.

Also, I have not seen any evidence of genetic improvement in China in modern times. There are no laws in China facilitating a positive correlation between fertility and intelligence and conscientiousness. In fact, a recent paper came to the conclusion that China is actually experiencing dysgenics:
Researchgate.n*t/publication/301479916_Evidence_of_dysgenic_fertility_in_China

Plus, I propose that eugenics/transhumanism is an egalitarian endeavor, and the existence of such a practice much be conditional and predicated on the existence of the underlying practice of the more basic egalitarian system: democracy. But, China does not even have a democracy but instead a monarchy. Monarchism is highly inegalitarian, one in which the law states that all citizens are the physical property of the King/Emperor. In such a system, the King has no desire to eugenically/transhumanistically raise the quality of his human property to his level or beyond him; his goal is to hold them down and keep them disempowered so they can be easily contro11ed, subjugated, and exploited.

[continued below]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-5 13:18:57 |Display all floors
On retrospect, perhaps expanding on the idea of genetically elite monarchs impregnating dozens of concubines for generetions may have a eugenic effect.

I am not too familiar with Chinese history, and I am displeased to say that my knowledge is limited to watching a few Chinese history "docu-dramas" uploaded to YouTube and the Wikipedia entry, but let's say that starting with the Qin dynasty 221 BC, the Monarch impregnated a total of one hundred concubines, resulting in one hundred offspring with above average genes. Well, first of all, there would now be an imbalance of mates, with the general population of males being short of one hundred females, resulting in one hundred average to below average males not pa$$ing on their unimpressive genes. So, we already have increased the quality of the Chinese gene pool by a very small percent.

[continued below]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-5 13:19:13 |Display all floors
Now, let's say that the fifty male offspring of the Emperor were allowed to possess enough wealth and power to possess and impregnate, let's say, fifty concubines each during their lifetime. This would result in 2,500 offspring that may have above average genetic quality, a$$uming that the concubines were of decent genetic quality. So again, we have created more gender imbalance by depriving the general average/below average males of 2,500 females, who were instead impregnated by the higher quality sons of the Emperor. So, we have again increased the percentage of the Chinese population with better genes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-5 13:19:35 |Display all floors
So, then, if we were to follow the above pattern for 2,000 years, could it have a significant eugenic effect? I suppose it would depend on the overall genetic quality of the concubines being used and the amount of regression towards the mean of all the offspring.

I presume there are some mathematical equations that population geneticists use to calculate the results. This is beyond my knowledge.

Perhaps the median Chinese IQ of 105 is the combination of both cold weather and the above scenario.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-5 15:19:26 |Display all floors
This is a rubbsh thread.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-5 16:31:30 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-1-5 15:19
This is a rubbsh thread.

My teacher was talking the other day about why China is so smart and she said it was because China's has the most loving President, and he showers his citizens with more love than any other President in the world.  She said that all the research shows that love is the main variable that determines which person and culture is smarter.  The more love one receives in her life, the smarter she becomes.  This makes sense to me.  When I went to visit China on vacation, I actually felt so much love among the people there.

My teacher also told me that there is no such thing as genes.  She said that the word gene was invented by white supremacists so they can say "Hey, my genes are superior to your genes."  

She said that instead of the fictional gene, we are who we are because of something called Lysenkoism.  It's kind of confusing to me, but the idea is that our qualities are not based on units called genes, but units called memes, and memes are culturally derived and are inherited by our children via culture and upbringing.  So, memes are not set in stone, but culture can change the memes that anyone ends up being made up of.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-5 16:32:33 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-1-5 15:19
This is a rubbsh thread.

My teacher was talking the other day about why China is so smart and she said it was because China has the most loving President, and he showers his citizens with more love than any other President in the world.  She said that all the research shows that love is the main variable that determines which person and culture is smarter.  The more love one receives in her life, the smarter she becomes.  This makes sense to me.  When I went to visit China on vacation, I actually felt so much love among the people there.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.