Views: 4354|Replies: 7

How big is your ideal home? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-31 09:32:15 |Display all floors

Does somewhere between 1,400 and 2,600 square feet sound right? That was the answer given by more than half of those who responded to a recent survey from real—estate site Trulia.com.

Trulia points to this information plus data from the National Association of Home Builders and the U.S. Census, among others, and wonders is the McMansion Era Over?

It increasingly seems like that’s the case. As we’ve written before, the American love affair with massive and mass-produced luxury homesis fast coming to a close. The average home size peaked at 2,521 square feet in 2007. Home size came in flat in 2008 and fell in 2009 as builders built smaller, less ornate homes priced lower to compete with foreclosures.

In a WSJ story in November, Michael Phillips looked at the luxury home business and found that many builders were scaling back, “struggling to distinguish among what home buyers need, what they what they want and what they can live without 一 Jacuzzi by Jacuzzi, butler’s pantry.”

One builder in the article spent months trying to figure out what features luxury home buyers are willing to give up. What’s out: Jacuzzi tubs, curved staircases and two-story foyers. Must-haves: a downstairs powder room, a garage that fits at least two cars, granite countertops in the kitchen and four bedrooms.

Yep, four bedrooms. Clearly, Americans still want their space. We don’t expect a great mass of people to join the Tiny House movement anytime soon and live in an 89-square-foot structure like this guy.

This Kyoto home featured in today’s WSJ is just 640 square feet. There are no closets, no television and guests sit on the floor and the family of four who lives there shares a sleeping room. Sound appealing?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-31 10:30:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-1-1 19:24:38 |Display all floors
88 square meters
easy  to clean
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-1-2 16:15:23 |Display all floors
Yes we cannot trust any information coming from USA. They just make stuff up.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-1-2 16:19:27 |Display all floors
I could live in a very small house. I am living in my car right now which is an SUV with the back seat taken out and its not too bad. I also lived in a hole in the ground that I dug for six months one winter which was actually less space than is in my car. I could live in a tiny home pretty easy. I think I will but I would like a half court indoor basketball court so I am going to have to attach a decent size shed to the tiny home I plan on building.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-4 07:50:00 |Display all floors
10,966-square-foot Manhattan Penthouse! soon I'll overtake The Château de Versailles

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!  Rated R, Parental Guidance Suggested....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-4 16:05:29 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.