Author: ceciliazhang

What Mandatory School Uniforms Look Like in 15 Different Countries [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-6 10:41:09 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2018-1-5 12:37
Its not for the school or the parents its for poor children you idiot. It makes poor kids feel bad ...

You are the first person to apprise me that mandatory school uniforms' purpose is to level the socioeconomic status of children at school, so to speak. Your point is totally new to me. I do not see how the poor pupils become wealthier if they have to wear the same uniform as the rich children in the same class. But appearances can perhaps deceive some and thus motivate them to feel good although not perhaps motivated enough to learn better.

The rationale I have most often heard to explain the need to wear uniforms is that a uniform dress code reduces the children to a mass of youngsters given a station in the schools hierarchy with staffers occupying the upper echelons.

Thus they are forced to recognize who is in authority and who is at the receiving end of instruction and orders. That makes sense, but it sounds very militaristic to me.

In China schools also want to differentiate themselves from other schools. Those with a certain fame want their pupils to wear uniforms with the name of the school boldly printed in public. The children thus become sandwichemen advertising the school in society.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.