Views: 5016|Replies: 17

Can physical bookstore survive in the digital age? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-27 09:28:19 |Display all floors
With e-books readily available the world-over, traditional bookstores have been looking for ways to stay relevant.
A glimpse of The Bookworm

A well-decorated stairway to The Bookworm. [Photo: China Plus/ Li Xiang]

A well-decorated stairway leads people into a new world. The Bookworm has been a hit in Beijing due to its ability to multi-task. It's been in its current location near Worker's Stadium for over 10 years now, and also has branches in Suzhou and Chengdu.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 09:28:36 |Display all floors

A photo of The Bookworm. [Photo: China Plus/ Li Xiang]

Opening from 9 in the morning until midnight, the management model of the bookstore is very different from the traditional ones.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 09:28:53 |Display all floors

People chat and do their work at The Bookworm. [Photo: China Plus/ Li Xiang]

"I'm frequent visitor of the bookstore, but don't only come here for buying books, sometimes I just need a place like here to deal with my business. I like the atmosphere here, people here all mind their own business," said Mary, a customer of The Bookworm, "Food and drink are also available here, which is really convenient. But if I want to or need to buy a book, this place is where I’ll go first."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 09:29:07 |Display all floors

English-language books sold at The Bookworm. [Photo: China Plus/ Li Xiang]

The Bookworm is more than a bookshop. It also serves as a bar and restaurant, and also hosts significant events

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 09:29:26 |Display all floors

Craft beers on offer at The Bookworm, as well as some of the finest whiskies in town. [Photo: China Plus/ Li Xiang]

More than 300 events have been held here with over 3,000 famous writers from more than 100 countries being invited to give talks.
The bookstore also serves its customers with a vast variety of food and drinks, including foreign and Chinese options, appetizers and desserts, craft beers, as well as some of the finest whiskies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 09:29:42 |Display all floors

Photo shows the menu of The Bookworm, including foreign and Chinese food, appetizers and desserts. [Photo: China Plus/ Li Xiang]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 16:26:31 |Display all floors
Reading a book is much better than reading from e-reader.

1) There is no need to worry about battery life.

2) You do not suffer from screen glare.

3) There is no need to scroll or click.

4) Books can be kept for a long time if well taken care of and there is no worry of memory corruption on the file.

These are just a few examples of the advantage of books. I personally think books will not go extinct but will become rare.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.