Author: ceciliazhang

Is Harvard changing its attitude against Asian-Americans? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-27 13:10:22 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-12-27 11:31
This is not the way to go.

In the long run, China's universities will be reserved for the brighte ...

China has a bloody long way to go before its universities compare favourably with Western ones. I wish they could speed things up because they sure are backward and backwardness in thinking keeps China backward.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-27 13:11:58 |Display all floors
cwdy Post time: 2017-12-27 07:32
I knew that, I just meant if Harvard is not American national,but open to the world.

I am puzzled as to why the moderator removed two of my replies to you; both were to the point and polite. I have argued that it is not Harvard's business to accept all and sundry from the entire world. There are more rational ways to bring Harvard-level higher education to foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 13:12:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 13:43:04 |Display all floors
cwdy Post time: 2017-12-27 12:45
I have to admit you didn't bullshit this time, but instead of perpetuating endless China-bashing,  ...

I am too humble to try to find a "path" through which the entire human species can tread. I think everyone must make their own path, and collectives can make some roads, avenues and boulevards through which their masses can march. That is why I think China has let down its own education-"hungry" young.

It drives them to the commercially active colleges in the New World rather than keep them at home. I think this is bloody unfair to the young in China. Then again, I wonder whether they and their parents really care about education per se, or whether they view it as a shrewd means to a seemingly bright future. Where I come from, education has intrinsic values not measured in dollars yuan or shekels. Education per se is soft power. Soft power has the magic ability to make us truly happy and independent.  As the Romans used to say: Don't study for the university; study for life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 14:32:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 16:54:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-12-27 12:38
Why is Harvard so popular? It's not because it is a U.S. American university; it is because it i ...

Sometimes you are just so off. Are you just tired, but you are forcing yourself to write? It sounds like it.

Europeans couldn't care less about American universities because they are anti-American. It's not because European universities are better. Come on. The US stands unique in history in it acceptance of diversity, openness, freedom. The degree of openness and frankness in the USA is non-existent in many parts of Europe. Though things are changing. Europe is not popular among Asians as the USA is, for a reason. Well, maybe the northern Chinese like Europe, who knows. But southern Chinese all prefer the USA.

Though I can't say the USA is as good as it used to be. I, for one, can't say I care anything for American education TODAY. I am sure glad I caught the tail of the American dream, though.

International students pay a lot of money to attend American universities, they are not living off of US tax payers' money. You should know that.

Asians will do things their own way, and it is different from the western way. There are some things Asians are better at. This is just a time in history when Asians are more messed up. It will not always be so. Too bad you won't be living to see Asia's rise--by that, I mean, a real spiritual rise...not some stupid GDP comparison sh*t.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 17:09:07 |Display all floors
hello87654 Post time: 2017-12-27 16:54
Sometimes you are just so off. Are you just tired, but you are forcing yourself to write? It sound ...

I shouldn't reply to your Usanian-nationalis nonsense because your political convictions don't carry any argument and your knowledge of Europe is zero.

There should be no popularity race to attract foreign students to any particular university because a university's job is above all to educate students from the nation where it is located.

For the same reason China has Chinese universities, N Korea has N Korean universities, and domestic politics always inform their student recruiting policy. Don't brag about the U.S.A.'s perceived mission to spread racial inclusiveness. that has nothing to do with the world. It is a domestic necessity to be open to people of all races. It does not mean it should be open to foreign students. The same as in Europe. Europe has the advantage that it has no dark historic past involving slavery against Black people. you still have not overcome your racism there. Europe does not have to follow the U.S.' path. And the Affirmative Action policy is further proof that racism is vibrant. it now means that if you are not a White person you have a guaranteed right to be considered as a special needs minority. as long as you U.S. Americans hyphenise your identity between one ethnic qualifier and a national name you will practice racism. In an ideal world ethnicity doesn't matter.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.