Views: 2245|Replies: 4

It’s not a midlife crisis [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-24 14:00:54 |Display all floors
07380b31-edfd-448f-be8c-5ee507a2d675.jpeg

There is no rush to announce that you are having a midlife crisis.
Recently, there has been so much discussion about a mid-life crisis, mid-career crisis, middle-class anxiety and things alike.
We feel a crisis is happening when a random teenager starts to call us "uncle" or "auntie," when we are reminded that kids born in the 2000s are entering college, when we hear in the news about people who seem to do well that choose to end their lives and when we feel weak in the knees and neck or can't play games the same way.
Then we sigh, cry and complain about it.
I recently met with some college mates I hadn't seen in about eight years. Besides all the excitement of seeing dear friends again, some of the stuff we talked about was depressing, such as losing hair from stress and pinning on our hope on trying all the expensive hair products. Some of our old classmates got divorced, and we are all losing interest in marriage and romance.  
All these conversations are harsh reminders that we are already in our late 20s and early 30s, making us feel old and helpless.
What's wrong with us? I feel like people are constantly discussing these problems and anxieties in WeChat groups, Moments posts and at gatherings.
But come on. Our lives are so normal.
I feel sorry for people who have to face unexpected strikes in life such as illness, unemployment and loss of loved ones, and I feel sorry for people who give up.
But most of us are just normal people leading a normal life.
It's normal to have to shoulder the burden of supporting our kids and parents, pay a mortgage or have to save up for a down payment. It's normal to feel stressed and anxious or feel that your life and career are going nowhere.
You have to deal with all the stuff that life gives you.
Who doesn't?
There are abnormal cases like the man surnamed Ou who committed suicide and triggered a heated discussion in Chinese society. Ou had an apartment, a happy family and a promising career, and yet he gave up and took his own life and leaving his wife, two kids and four parents behind. It's a tragedy.
People should see Ou's tragedy as a reminder that we all go through challenges but instead, they get drunk over it, talk about it and post articles about it on their WeChat.
Of course, all the public accounts that you follow call it a midlife crisis because they want you to freak out.
Sometimes I feel that people are just spoiled.
It seems they deliberately try to find misfortunes in their normal lives.
People are born to fight and struggle if they ever want to improve themselves and realize their dreams.
We studied hard in school. We did all the overtime and extra work when we had our first job. We waited so long to finally meet the right person, and we went through the financially challenging period of our lives.
We have come this far.
Yes, we will be able to handle some of the challenges that life throws at us, and sometimes we will not. But look at what responsible, somewhat successful adults we have become!
This article was published on the Global Times Metropolitan section Two Cents page, a space for reader submissions, including opinion, humor and satire. The ideas expressed are those of the author alone, and do not represent the position of the Global Times.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-25 13:24:30 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-25 13:24:52 |Display all floors
AS WE AGE

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 13:15:21 |Display all floors
enjoy your life and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 16:15:31 |Display all floors
Life is full of mysteries or challenges since we were born - teenager's time, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.