Views: 27612|Replies: 17

What is ‘army’ in your language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-11 15:46:25 |Display all floors
(As a teacher I know little about military affairs. This post is only for fun!)

In ancient China, people called army '师'. ---------The first part of 师 is a changed-form of 刀(knife) that symbols the weapon for your fighting;
Then what is 币-like thing?  I think it should be the banner or flag for the troops. In the old era, banners were quite useful for the commander to conduct his soldiers when in training or fighting. ----------In Peking Opera, you could that officer-actor carrying several colorful flags on the back which could show his power!
In modern society, we use “军队‘’ as army.

(To be continued.)
Loving to the people and the  environment is special feeling that could lead you have a good study about the world!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-11 19:38:03 |Display all floors
队 is a group of people standing in line:its first component is simple form of 耳(ear); 人 is  ‘man’ or 'men'.  This word specially emphasizes ‘ear’ since all soldiers must listen to leader‘s order and obey the strict discipline without any condition!

军 is the main important part for the concept of ‘army’ in Chinese which original form is 軍-----------車 is ‘vehicle’ or ‘cart’, its shape looks exactly like one side of the old wooden cart driven by a beast! -------specially if you write its middle part as ‘one circle plus ‘+' in the middle . This reminds that:"There was old wooden wheel with about one dozen of big iron nails firmly fixing the components  together at home when I was little. Itis a pity that my brother dismantled it and burnt as firewood in 1983! ---------Through it you could imagine how hard such a shabby vehicle worked as military equipment on the bumpy earth road!
The top of 軍 should be the covering for cheating the enemy. Even in the modern era, we often dress up military truck in green-yellow cloth for security!’
’’
Loving to the people and the  environment is special feeling that could lead you have a good study about the world!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-11 19:51:38 |Display all floors

Here I think the word ‘army’ is also as interesting as the Chinese one! ---------we may think it in this way: army= arm+y     Army is the arm of  the state which sounds more pleasant with ‘y ’  for the ending pronunciation just as from ‘mum’ to 'mummy‘

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-11 21:11:05 |Display all floors
Now let's have a look at 國(country): its inside is 或 which shows a man(口)is standing on the ground with a gun(戈)on the shoulder; the remaining part is a square which symbols the closed boundary-wall of the country just as your yard-wall. -----------

The structure of 國 tell us: every citizen must pick up weapons to safeguard motherland since that is our duty!
When I was young, friends and me also thought there was high wall built as boundary-line that didn't allow the enemy to pass without permission!-----------That is the reason why we should not blame President Trump for ordering to build wall to isolate America from the neighbor!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-11 21:19:16 |Display all floors
Now something is wrong with the forum-web-page where all words  come so tiny that it is hard for my sight.  The last comments have been sent without checking, Sorry for possible errors!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-11 21:32:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-12-11 23:28

SOLD+I+ER=SOLDIER=soldier !!!   ---------I have been sold to the army!??
Yes,this maybe the real meaning of soldier in the english-speaking world. Each solder should work hard as if he or she was a ‘slave’ who is fully controlled by his master! -----------Everyone must contribute all of his or her energy even life for the country‘s safety.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-11 21:53:14 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-12-11 21:32
SOLD+I+ER=SOLDIER=soldier !!!   ---------I have been sold to the army!??
Yes,this maybe the real me ...

Is this meant to be a joke, SEARU? You can't ossibly believe what you wrote!

To sell, sold, sold is not the root of the noun "soldier". A good dictionary gives you a word's etymology.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.