Author: Perfumecity

The Insanely Fun European Cities [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-12-4 13:34:09 |Display all floors
7. Belgrade, Serbia

A spirited modern metropolis that’s at once rowdy and laid-back

Republic Square, Belgrade, Serbia (Image: KIRILL_MAKAROV/SHUTTERSTOCK.COM)

7.jpg

Say this for the Serbs: They’re really welcoming. On the beautiful banks of the Danube, Belgrade is jam-packed with coffee shops, trendy bistros, historical sites, art studios, and hip cultural centers. You’ll find music and parties in various disused warehouses, and revelry on river barges with little-to-no entrance fees. During the day, the Supermarket Concept Store is a great place to grab lunch and get accustomed to some of the regional artistic offerings. After the sun goes down, KGB Coffee, The Tube, Drugstore and Sveta offer all-night parties where debaucherous raving is de rigueur. And one of Europe’s largest de facto music events -- Exit Festival -- takes place down the road in Novi Sad every summer.
Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-4 13:35:53 |Display all floors
8. Tbilisi, Georgia

Extra cheap and extra genuine, Tbilisi boasts one of the world’s greatest club scenes

Old Town of Tbilisi, Georgia (Image: JOYFULL/SHUTTERSTOCK.COM)

8.jpg

It’s probably not the first name to roll off your tongue when putting together your travel bucket list, but the hilly capital of Georgia is fast becoming one of the biggest tourist destinations in the East. Perched between the Black and Caspian Seas, Tbilisi is gaining recognition for a nightlife scene that reflects the country’s growing liberalism and open-minded youth. As dance magazine Resident Advisor puts it, you’ll find “smartly booked clubs” -- like Bassiani, Mtkvarze, Vitamin Cubes, and Café Gallery -- “with excellent sound systems, passionate crowds and parties that go well past dawn.” The city is more than just affordable -- it’s dirt cheap, and one of the last bastions of the former Eastern Bloc that’s really opening up to Western tourists, so it still retains an authentic spirit. Locals are warm hearted and open to visitors, willing to share their cheap Georgian wine and the local speciality, Khinkali.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-4 13:38:20 |Display all floors
9. Bucharest, Romania (Image: AUGUSTIN LAZAROIU/SHUTTERSTOCK)

9.jpg

A city of contrasts that’s a must for electronic music

There are plenty of worthwhile museums, and street art, to see, but Romania is best known for its minimal techno scene (EDM’s more sophisticated, avant-gardist brother). Now the city is branching out into wider-ranging sounds, venues, and events, with regular shows hosted by Red Bull Music Academy and an experimental music festival called Rokolectiv. At the heart of everything is Control Club, a converted ballroom dating to the communist period. A cafe by day, it transitions each night to a music venue hosting bands and hip-hop, indie, and techno DJs. Having built a reputation for booking acts before anyone else in Europe, it’s one of several spots keeping this city ahead of the musical curve.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-5 20:51:44 |Display all floors
That's a nice beginning but by no means an exhaustive list of European fun cities. I do agree the selection is exquisite - I like especially Bucharest, Riga, but also - not mentioned here - Prague, Paris, Heidelberg, Amsterdam.

Each city has something going for it during one season or month a year. I strongly recommend Carnival in Venice, Florence, or those carnivals in Catholic Europe north of the Alps: Basle, Cologne, Lucerne, held in February.

In summer, some cities have so-called "love parades" - for example Berlin, Zurich. I once saw it in Zurich - one million visitors for a revelry that lasted just one day. It was huge fun!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-8 13:36:48 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-12-5 20:51
That's a nice beginning but by no means an exhaustive list of European fun cities. I do agree the se ...

It's quite pleasing 2 read what u comment on my thread coz I've learnt that u always can make some gud suggestions & emit points of view out of yr great knowledge & experiences. Tk u, Ray.     

I think the reason these cities r selected in the list is that they r not only fun but underrated as well & people whoever they r, can enjoy themselves with comparatively lower expenses, which is kinda impossible 2 happen in Paris etc.    

As 4 traveling in certain festivals when there wil b a deal of fun, it's true, however, during which we have 2 consider the crowd they draw. I usually won't go anywhere in holidays of CNY, National Day in CHN etc.      

In addition, there's a list of World's Festivals here, anyone who's interested in such a travelling may read it.      

Tips or inspirations r here, but it's all up 2 u 2 decide when or where. There r diverse answers from individuals, I think.      
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-9 08:12:49 |Display all floors
Perfumecity Post time: 2017-12-8 13:36
It's quite pleasing 2 read what u comment on my thread coz I've learnt that u always can make some ...

..That list of festival cities seems to be very useful ...

Meanwhile I have a sobering news:

In Duisburg, Germany, a court started proceedings to establish the responsibility in the deaths of 21 festivalgoers who were trampled to death during a stampede in 2010. The Duisburg Love Parade attracts hundreds of thousands of people every year. Over 650 got hurt during that fateful incident 7 years ago.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 5 DayEarlier |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-12-9 08:12
..That list of festival cities seems to be very useful ...

Meanwhile I have a sobering news:

That' very sad. Here are some other similar accidents that have happened in recent years (Source: Wikipedia):

31 December 2014: 2014 Shanghai stampede: 36 people killed and 47 injured in Shanghai stampede during New Year's celebrations

24 September 2015: 2015 Hajj stampede At least 2,177 people crushed to death and 934 injured at the annual Hajj in Saudi Arabia

3 June 2017: 2017 Turin stampede: 1 woman killed[21] and more than 1,500 people were injured when panic erupted during a screening of the UEFA Champions League Final in Turin, Italy.

29 September 2017: Elphinstone Station, Mumbai, India. More than 22 people died and hundreds were injured on a narrow footbridge. Reports say, panic triggered by a falling concrete slab made people rush in fear of the bridge collapsing, leading to the stampede. The bridge was densely packed during rush-hour and heavy rains packed more people taking shelter near the bridge.

Be wary of crowds, do not go along for the ride.      
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.