Views: 24701|Replies: 26

What's wrong with my English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-2 15:15:04 |Display all floors
The other day,that blogger-friend sent me the message: "Hi, buddy, it is admirable that you posted so many of your ideas and thoughts no holds barred, but please work on your English, which is seriously flawed.”

I have been half-happy and half-worried about his note. I think I am always strict with myself on spelling and grammar. Then what‘s wrong with my English in the bottom?   ----------Does my wording sound special or strange to his ears? -------Ho, it  may be that I often use hot or harsh words to show my strong feelings about some important issues those have hurt some readers‘ nerve cells! --------------In a Chinese drama, that high official was saying in this way:"If you want to stay longer in the government post, you must always say plain words those should be almost meaningless since any sensitive sentence might anger your leader, colleagues or the public, that proves the old saying 'Disaster comes from the mouth!" "

Then what is the use of bloging if your writing goes like ‘soft drink‘ without any liquor? -----------Have noted my avatar? That's the changed form of my surname-character 张 in which the sharp arrow could remind me "You must make sure all of your words could hit the target since empty lecture is harmful for all!”

The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-2 21:25:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Yin_99 at 2017-12-2 21:25

It's mainly your mindset which makes you sound perfectly well unerstood from any Chinese point of view.  Well, English language features itself in simple, clear way of expressions, I think.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-2 21:42:12 |Display all floors
Yin_99 Post time: 2017-12-2 21:25
It's mainly your mindset which makes you sound perfectly well unerstood from any Chinese point of vi ...

To tell the truth, my major was physics instead of English in the university. I come here to summarize my teaching experience in my “special English’ just as that the same program from the Voice of America which is written by professional editors!

I think we fellow Chinese should learn from foreign friends who always tell stories in detailed way with more  accurate words, just as west photos are  more clear than Chinese brush-drawn paintings! -----------That is why I wish China would rewrite our dictionary which would explain each Chinese character in more scientific, reasonable and easy way that would benifit kids and smooth the way of the development of our culture!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-2 22:01:59 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-12-2 21:42
To tell the truth, my major was physics instead of English in the university. I come here to summa ...

I have posted the comment above as a new blog with fresh title "How to make Chinese language more powerful?"!   -----------Which topic is more important and meaningful for our nation.

I think fellow Chinese friends should not always be satisfied with the current mother-language level. We ought to use characters more freely in an easy way just as foreign counterparts do.  Don't repeat written or others‘ words when you describe something. Instead we should be encouraged to carve our own sculpture with the knife-like tongue based on self-observation-and-imagination!’

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-3 07:24:20 |Display all floors
Your English sounds too Chinese to many of us. It is clear that you translate from Chinese into English. You cannot translate metaphors, idioms and other flowery expressions word by word into a different language.

I have also told you a number of times your use of the verbs should, wouod, couod is wrong.

That said, your threads are a joy to read because of their philosophical depth.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-3 07:36:09 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-12-3 07:24
Your English sounds too Chinese to many of us. It is clear that you translate from Chinese into Engl ...

yes, compared to all the Chinese writers SEARU is one of the best in written English.

Congming Searu

BTW Seneca

You have never shown any skill of writing in  CHINESE so who are you to judge on his written foreign English language !!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-3 07:37:32 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-12-3 07:24
Your English sounds too Chinese to many of us. It is clear that you translate from Chinese into Engl ...

Flying back to sunny Spain today

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.