Views: 22698|Replies: 19

China: We Have Failed, We Can't Make Semi-Conductors, So We Quit [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-28 19:26:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by VictorTorres at 2017-11-28 19:31

China’s signaling a tempering of its ambitions to become a global semiconductor power because it can’t out-spend the likes of Intel Corp. in the short run.  The country’s “corner-overtaking” stretegy simply isn’t realistic, said Ding Wenwu.  China is trying to reduce a reliance on some $200 billion of annual semiconductor imports, which it fears undermines both national security and the development of a thriving technology sector. Overall, Beijing envisions spending about $150 billion over 10 years to achieve a leading position in design and manufacturing.  “It’s very unrealistic to overtake on the corner given the current situation,” Ding told his audience in Shanghai. “It’s only possible when everyone is on the same starting line.”

Money can’t solve the problem either, he said.  “How can one overtake the front-runners when lagging so far behind? Not to mention the leaders are trying very hard to keep their position,” he said.

“One of the biggest concerns for China is it doesn’t want to see the industry contro11ed by others,” said Wei Shaojun, director of the Institute of Microelectronics at Tsinghua University. “We are heavily dependent on semiconductor imports, what if they suddenly stopped shipping the chips to us?”

So, China is finally accepting the reality that creating state-of-the-art semiconductors can only be achieved in a nation that has Democracy, Freedom, and Human Rights. So, China will still remain a third-world nation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-28 21:52:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-12-3 19:26

Relax. Here's some figures to clear up the picture:

IMG_0840.PNG

Taiwan, South Korea and Japan account for 60% of semiconductor wafer manufacturing capacity followed by the USA and China which has 13.4% and 10.8% respectively. But China started from almost zero 20 years ago.

IMG_0841.PNG

In fabless semiconductor IC sales, China has a 10% market share which is up from 5% in 2010. The USA has more than half at 53% but is down from 69%.  

I don't know why the OP cites Intel as proof of US leadership in semiconductor manufacturing when in fact TSMC, based in Taiwan, is the number one semiconductor wafer foundry in the world. In fabless semiconductor IC sales, US companies have seen their market share decline due to competition from Chinese companies whose market share has doubled.

The Chinese quoted in your article were being cautious in proclaiming China's ability to overtake Intel even though TSMC has long ago overtaken it in semiconductor manufacturing. In semiconductor IC design, Qualcomm used to own the market for smartphone ICs. But that's not true anymore as Chinese IC companies such as HiSilicon, Datang, Spreadtrum, etc. have succeeded in designing their own smartphone ICs.
IMG_0841.PNG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-29 15:43:27 |Display all floors
sfphoto is correct. It seems the OP does not know anything about semiconductor and picks up a piece of news to spread "Democracy, Freedom, and Human Rights." I see this kind of people all over the news media and even in this forum. They pick a news, twist the truth, expand on it with misinformation and then try to pass it off as the truth.

With regards to semiconductor, expanding on what sfphoto has already mentioned, it used to be that the US companies, like Intel and AMD, design and manufacture chips in US many years ago in the 1980s and earlier. When they realised that the manufacturing part can be sub-contracted to places with lower labour cost, that is where TSMC in Taiwan started off and benefited. The manufacturing part needs lots of labour compared to designing. A few other Asian countries are also providing such services, such as Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

I want to tell the OP to stop all this nonsense if he/she truly wants peace. Do not try to stir up hate, contentions or strife for your stupid ideals. There are people whom you cannot fool. I hope there are more and more such people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-29 15:45:20 |Display all floors
My post did not get through.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-29 15:45:51 |Display all floors
What's going on???!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-29 19:47:10 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-11-29 15:43
sfphoto is correct. It seems the OP does not know anything about semiconductor and picks up a piece  ...

Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand are not China!

Dude, did you even go to high school?  China is a different country from the four mentioned above.  The OP says it's China that can't make semiconductors, not the four countries you mentioned.

China is worst at everything, a very third world failed nation.  China can't even make the basic stuff that separates a Master nation from a Slave nation: jet engines, semiconductors, and reliable intercontinental nuclear ballistic missiles that can penetrate any anti-missile defense system.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-30 14:42:08 |Display all floors
Christopher_ Post time: 2017-11-29 19:47
Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand are not China!

Dude, did you even go to  ...

True. In my haste to comment, I failed to provide details and explain myself clearly. Those countries I have mentioned actually only have testing facilities, not wafer fabrication (except for Singapore which has both). My point is not to show more data (which sfphoto has already provided) but to emphasize that people should not pick a piece of news and twist it to suit one's agenda. I see this often in major western news media. This is misleading information.

China has a local Chinese wafer fabrication plant in Suzhou. You should find out the facts first.

China is worst at everything, a very third world failed nation.  China can't even make the basic stuff that separates a Master nation from a Slave nation: jet engines, semiconductors, and reliable intercontinental nuclear ballistic missiles that can penetrate any anti-missile defense system.

This is the kind of comment that is nothing but pure hatred, which leads other fools to be deceived and then carry on this hatred which you are doing here.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.