Author: laespanora

Are single-sex schools benefiting students? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-26 20:54:33 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-26 09:45
I don't know what people mean when they say "interacting with members of the opposite gender in  ...

I willow follow up your two comments in single post.

reason usually advanced is that boys remain underachievers and girls overachievers  If you look at pupil scores you will soon see that girls outperform boys in most subjects. The parents of boys then complain that their sons were not supported adequately

That's true, but let's consider how this would change with separate schools for boys and girls.

What I think would happen, is that in inter-school comparison, girls in the all-girls school would continue to overachieve the boys in the all-boys school.

Why would boys schools attract better teaches than girls schools?

Continuing the above thought, the boys' parents would then complain, and the boys school would respond by hiring better or more teachers - while girls school would not get such updates.

End result is that boys may catch up to the girls in terms of achieving, but they do it by having more education resources allocated to them than the girls are.

In the end of day, what matters to parents is that their child achieves well in shool, and knowing that boys schools would be better resourced they would prefer to have a boy too. China does not need more of that mentality.

What China needs, in my opinion, is to let girls achieve better than boys, and make boys and their families respond to that by working harder (or doing the right things) to catch up with girls.

In terms of "interacting with members of the opposite gender in the classroom", it could mean to make boys (or their parents) observe why the girls do better than the boys, and learn from them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 00:30:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ted180 at 2017-11-26 11:32
seneca Post time: 2017-11-25 03:21
That is an opponent´s belief and arguments but they can all be countered by arguments that state  ...

Yes, bad parenting is a more powerful problem. Nevertheless, to segregate schools simply serves to amplify and perpetuate the problem of the awkwardness between the genders. The educational system is "an arm of society" that should be used to reduce the harm of bad parenting.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 20:08:29 |Display all floors
why we separate these children into single-sex school? our boys and girls made mistakes?
life is colorful with you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.