Author: ceciliazhang

Are foreign teachers in China qualified?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-26 13:52:38 |Display all floors
OOGG Post time: 2017-11-25 17:29
It isn’t only private schools which employ unqualified teachers and / or teachers working illegally ...

There should be a crackdown on unqualified foreign teachers working in China because they violate immigration laws working on tourist visas!  They should be rounded up and depoted post haste!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 13:52:41 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-11-26 13:44
I think it is the way they speak the Indian language which they use when speaking the English lang ...

Probably it is true.

I am acquainted with a couple of Indians, and I have also run into a dozen Indians in training and meetings in the past. But very few of them would speak English slowly,  even after you raised issue with their speeches. They appeared to pride themselves on their English.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 13:55:31 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-25 19:04
I beg to differ on this.

I have got colleagues from European countries like Germany, Italy, Franc ...

In deed,  it's  a problem.
Poms got the  same  problem,  by media would  censor  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 13:59:10 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-26 13:52
Probably it is true.

I am acquainted with a couple of Indians, and I have also run into a dozen I ...

At least they speak naturally, without a fake American accent which the Chinese are obsessed with!
I prefer to listen to Indians speaking English than to Chinese speaking Chinglish with a fake American accent!  Actually it is not difficult to understand the Indians, they do speak English although with an Indian accent.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-27 07:29:04 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-11-26 13:59
At least they speak naturally, without a fake American accent which the Chinese are obsessed with! ...

Your obsession with the "American accent" shows again like a piece of underwear peeking out from under your miniskirt. What is wrong if people adopt a native speaker's English "accent" Nothing. It only has to be CONSISTENT.

Why get in a fluster about "accents" That really is not a real issue. The real issue is why foreign teachers are needed in China in the first place. The reason is not a very good one: it is because CHINESE TEACHERS cannot speak the language they are supposed to know and be skilled at using. That is in fact a SCANDAL but who cares in China?

By the way, I am reading VIkram Seth's master novel, "A Suitable Boy". To really understand Indian English you need to extend your English vocabulary enormously. Their English is interspersed with loanwords from various Indian languages. Even English numbers show traces of Indian languages: there is a distinct word for "100'000" that only Indian English speakers use to the detriment of any other English speakers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 12:57:51 |Display all floors
There are some inland states in the US where people speak with an accent that is totally incomprehensible to their country folks from other places, an English acquaintance of mine has been always baffled by his Scottish compatriots' speeches, and Germans living in the North find it hard to communicate with people from the south if they insist on speaking in their own dialects. If two Shanghainese are speaking in their vernacular in the presence of a guy from Beijing, then the Beijinger will be totally clueless as to what they are talking about. In those cases, accents actually play a role in obstructing articulate communications.

A lot of Italians and people from Eastern Europe habitually end every utterance of an English word with a vowel, for example, they speak the word bearing like bellinger, and Indians speak English in a way like they all have a rubber ball in their mouth, and there is no difference between their pronunciations of voiced consonants and voiceless consonants in Indian English. This is not merely accent, this is a wrong way of speaking that would lead to misunderstanding, misinformation, and miscommunications.

That's why there are GA in the US, RP in the UK, AuE in Australia, CanE in Canada, which are all deemed accepted accents for communications among people. Incidentally, people from those countries have no problem understanding each other, because they basically follow the same phonetic rules despite the minor variations among them in some respects.

It is not right to ignore the issue of accents when students learn English. If you speak English like South Africans, Indians, Italians, (Germans are surprisingly pretty good at speaking English, though they usually speak the consonant S as Z), I would not say you fail, but your English certainly is flawed.

So it stands to reason that foreign teachers have to be from countries where English is the dominant official language, as kids would naturally imitate their teachers' way of speaking, and they need to know what decent English sounds like from a young age.

Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 20:52:23 |Display all floors
Another thread about english.teachers..zzzzzzzz
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.