Views: 9579|Replies: 5

Panama's President proposes Panama as a China’s platform in Latin America [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-22 21:51:56 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Toogood at 2017-11-22 21:53

Panamanian President said on Monday that Panama will play a key role as China's platform in Latin America in investment, transport, logistics and tourism.

The country's central position in Latin America and the Caribbean, plus the Canal and the fact that Panama is a financial and logistical hub, with legal security and political stability, "will help us channel a lot of investment from China", Varela said at a press conference where he closed the Beijing stage of the first official visit by a Panamanian leader to the Asian country.

Varela went over the main achievements of this trip and noted his confidence that, despite Latin American countries are eager to attract Chinese investment and trade, Panama will attract a significant part of the Asian giant's economic activity in that region.
"There will certainly be a lot of (Chinese) investment in the region, but each country has to create favorable conditions" to attract it, he highlighted, and said that he hopes  not only to atract Chinese investment in his country, but also in other countries of the region with Panama as a base.

The Panamanian president also considered that the "strategic partnership" between his country and the United States "is fully compatible" with the "approach" to China and its use of the Panamanian platform to "increase its presence in Latin America".
Varela recalled that there are Chinese companies that are building a cruise port in Panama, including water projects and housing, or are established in the Colon Free Zone, with investments totaling 1,000 million dollars until the establishment of diplomatic relations in June.

"I am sure that many Chinese companies will follow the same route," he said, trusting that "Panama will be the door for many Chinese companies in Latin America".

What are your thoughts?  I would like to know your opinions...... Thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-29 18:39:26 |Display all floors
The Chinese are investing in countries all through the Americas. A Panamanian platform is an obvious starting point as it has been for all of the Occident interested in this part of the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-30 04:12:49 |Display all floors
Mishao Post time: 2017-11-29 18:39
The Chinese are investing in countries all through the Americas. A Panamanian platform is an obvious ...

Hi Mishao,
Thanks for your Reply.
Indeed, we view it as the start "platform" to reach ALL of the Latin American countries. Remember, panama has had "commercial relation" with China for years.
Now, at last, 'diplomatic relations' have started. It was long overdue!

On a personal level, I am looking to make contacts (such as you), to have a greater understanding of a culture that I have always admired and respected.

I look forward to more exchanges with you and others in the future!

BUENA SUERTE!
                                                          (Good Luck)   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-30 13:32:18 |Display all floors
Indeed, it's good news all around.
CHEC port in Panama for cruise ships will open the gate for better cooperation between them Countries.
Panama and China signed an agreement on maritime transport during Varela's first visit to China after establishing diplomatic relations.

The agreement will boost commercial ship traffic, both cargo and passenger ships, between the two countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-1 18:34:57 |Display all floors
Toogood Post time: 2017-11-30 04:12
Hi Mishao,
Thanks for your Reply.
Indeed, we view it as the start "platform" to reach ALL of the L ...

Thank you for your kind words and warm sentiments. Please feel free to write to me when you like.Buena suerte(Boa sorte in Portuguese-Brasil).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-2 02:31:05 |Display all floors
Muchas Gracias Mishao!

Are you Portuguese/Brazilian?  -  language is almost alike with Spanish

Living in China?  -  what's it like (to you)....?

thanks again,,,,

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.