Views: 1435|Replies: 15

Are more women marrying younger men? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-17 09:57:38 |Display all floors
According to a report by the Xinhua News Agency in November 2017, Li Chunling, a researcher from Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, did a survey on the subject, and the result showed that older woman marrying younger men has increased from 14.37 percent in 2000, to 40.13 percent in 2010. While the traditional combination of an older man and a younger woman has dropped to 43.13 percent from 68.09 percent during the same period. I don't think age matters in a serious relationship. If the man and woman are truly in love, the age factor should not be a hindrance. But what does the trend reflect?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-17 15:42:39 |Display all floors
I think it is a better trend as people are getting more open and could finally focus on the quality of a relationship, and what really matters in a relationship, instead of sticking to the doctrine of how other people expect them to.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-17 22:32:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Yin_99 at 2017-11-17 22:36

Same question to ask is there more women dating/having relationship with elder/senior men 20 or 30 years old of age difference

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-17 22:36:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Yin_99 at 2017-11-17 22:38

It's purely some personal preference I think.  From a female perspective, a junior partner mainly means less security in age/gender/biological difference, otherwise a personal selection of lifestyle after all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-19 12:49:49 |Display all floors
I do not think that this development in China is purely change in personal preferences. These changes reflect bigger issues in the society's development.

First of all, women are more able to take care of themselves and make career, therefore many women no longer need to look for that in their husbands.

Secondly, gender imbalance in China is well known fact (although situation with unregistered daughters makes it a bit better in real world than official statistics have showed in past). When there are so many more men than women, the change toward older wifes with younger husbands is a natural consequence.

As a young man in marrying age, if your choices are limited, you may not think twice if there is an eligible and interesting but a bit older lady available.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-19 14:15:17 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-11-19 12:49
I do not think that this development in China is purely change in personal preferences. These change ...

I agree with you that it's not a change in personal preferences but a trend driven by socio-economic changes in China over the last 30 years or so. The rapid economic growth has made Chinese women more socially mobile and given them more social freedoms in terms of residency, education, dating, sexuality, marriage, children, family, career, business, etc. So this trend of older Chinese women mating with younger Chinese men reflects the increasing wealth, power and status of Chinese women. That's already true not only in coastal cities like Shanghai but also in inland cities like Chengdu.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-19 14:34:49 |Display all floors
Meanwhile there are more and more young women choose to date elderly men 20-30 years senior their age.  This trend is even more popular among elder men with higher social status, e.g. director Zhang Yimou's current wife is 31 years old younger than him; Nobel Prize winner Chen Nin Yang's wife is 54 years old younger than him...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.