Author: ceciliazhang

UFO-shaped clouds spotted over Lijiang [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-18 09:45:30 |Display all floors
Big nature give us these colorful clouds, don't amazing! this is a natural phenomenon.  we are gratitude for the artic nature. it form the color world: mountain, lake, plain, waterfall, cave, colorful sky and so on.
life is colorful with you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-21 01:17:16 |Display all floors
Lenticular clouds look like UFOs

earthsky.org/earth/best-photos-beautiful-lenticular-clouds-around-the-world
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-22 10:44:27 |Display all floors
I had never seen UFO's before I stumbled onto the pictures in this thread. Now I know what a UFO looks like. Next time I meet one I will put my autogramme on it.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-11-23 10:01:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2017-11-23 13:35
Mishao Post time: 2017-11-17 20:11
If someone knows how these kinds of clouds are formed, please give us a write here.

They are called Lenticular clouds (Altocumulus lenticularis) and there are 3 main types, however, each type is formed in much the same manner.

First a bit of basic science.  As wind blows along the earth and is disrupted by objects such as mountains, tall buildings, bridges and so on "eddy currents" are formed, you can think of these as swirling tubes of air.  The size of the eddy currents and the number depends on the size of the obstacle (mountain, tall building etc) and it's shape, wind velocity and ambient temperature, air pressure etc.

If the air temperature drops to dew point then a cloud is formed, however due to the eddy currents and if all conditions are right (eddy velocity, temperature, humidity) etc then a Lenticular cloud is often formed. In general terms Lenticular clouds often form at the same locations, although sometimes they form on storm fronts for example.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-23 18:35:26 |Display all floors
Thank you so much for the cllear, concise and well-written explanation.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-11-23 19:37:24 |Display all floors
Mishao Post time: 2017-11-23 18:35
Thank you so much for the cllear, concise and well-written explanation.

You're welcome
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-23 23:04:33 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-22 03:44
I had never seen UFO's before I stumbled onto the pictures in this thread. Now I know what a UFO loo ...

Or was it Airforce 1 hidding behind the formation ??
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.