Author: ceciliazhang

Are Chinese students falling out of love with US universities? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-26 15:33:28 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-11-26 10:29
You should help Indians build more toilets especially for the Dalits who live in the sprawling slu ...

The World Toilet Day was last week, you swine with your dirty imagination. I know you celebrated World Toilet Day because on that day you did not post here. You must have been defecating nonstop all day...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 15:39:23 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-26 15:30
You Chinese can brag about the numbers of Chinese customers but you cannot brag about the lack o ...

…Elon Musk's electric car wouldn’t survive without US government’s subsidies, the car itself is an expensive con. You don’t think the Chinese are that stupid while there are already the biggest seller of electric cars in China.     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 15:49:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-26 09:09
I have been to India in my capacity as a traveller. More than once. I never hire "slaves", though. ...

I often wonder, is there any country you have not visited with the finder on the map  ..? The lumen mundi of senca knows it all and has been involved in any situation discussed here. You are some tool, now you know all about cars, next thing, you know all about airplanes, ships and trains and in the meantime can’t close a pressure cooker   

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-26 15:58:03 |Display all floors
raton Post time: 2017-11-26 15:49
I often wonder, is there any country you have not visited with the finder on the map  ..? The lume ...

You want to know the countries I havew not been to? OK:

- N Korea
- Bhutan
- Cambodia
- Turkmenistan
- Georgia
- Armenia
- Djibouti
- Rwanda
- Burundi
- Mozambique
- Angola
- Mauritania
- Saudi Arabia
- Iraq
- Yemen
And none of the countries in the Americas except Canada. But that is understandable. Do you know how dangerous it is visiting Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, San Salvador, Peru?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 15:58:39 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-26 00:05
BMW could thrive as it does all because of the rising sales it has achieved in China over the past ...

Despite some shortcomings, Chinese automotive industries are world class, without China the US automotive industries would be gone long time ago..! The i-d-iot Trump has to be thankful to the Chinese car makers to feed the US automotive industries..!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 16:42:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-26 15:58
You want to know the countries I havew not been to? OK:

- N Korea

….Do you know how dangerous it is visiting Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, San Salvador, Peru?....

No… is not dangerous Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, San Salvador, Peru or Chile. A clever (of course you are not) traveler would know the inherited dangers of each of the countries and what to visit in all safety. NY is very safe, that is if you have a gun..! I have traveled to many countries worldwide; never ever I encountered a dangerous or unpleasant situation.      

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-26 16:51:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-11-26 18:27
seneca Post time: 2017-11-26 15:30

You Chinese can brag about the numbers of Chinese customers but you cannot brag about the lack of number of creative minds that design products of excellence such as Elon Musk's electric car which he does not really want to make in China but will make because there is no other way for him to sell it to the sheer number of Chinese customers.

China has some 200 electric vehicle manufacturers that produce all kinds of electric vehicles: two-wheeled mopeds, three-wheeled tricyles and four-wheeled electric vehicles. These Chinese companies hold 96% of the domestic market for electric vehicles with the rest being TESLA. China also commands ninety percent of the world's electric motorcycles. So my point being that Elon Musk needs China for both for its EV market and industry. As it is, the landed cost (taxes, shipping, tariffs) of his TESLA electric sportscars is too prohibitive for him to target the mass-market for EVs in China which is already the world's largest and fastest-growing. Thus, he needs to manufacture his cars in China to lower the costs of production as well as take advantage of the increasing sophistication of China's EV technology by sourcing components and subsystems from Chinese EV suppliers in order to compete against Chinese EV manufacturers.

The numbers game also has a reverse side: if China is so important to the West, how important was China when Chinese could not afford a car of their own? Yes, only three decades back, and an ordinary Chinese person's dream of a means of locomotion was a FLYING PIGEON with two wheels two pedals and one gear. Now bicycles are out of fashion and cars are in... For how long?

Let me address this point just by citing the USA as an EV market and industry since TESLA is a US company. The USA has a big market for GAS not ELECTRIC vehicles even though some hybrid models have been sold there for quite some time. The reason why China is so important to EV manufacturers such as TESLA is because the Chinese EV manufacturers began producing EVs quite early for a good reason: they couldn't compete against the established foreign auto MNCs setting up shop in China producing GAS vehicles just like in the USA. But those same MNCs were reluctant to produce EVs because they felt EVs would cannibalize GAS vehicles. So that's how the Chinese EV market and industry got started because it's simpler, easier and cheaper to produce ELECTRIC vehicles compared to GAS vehicles BY AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE.

But Elon Musk has a problem: TESLA is a US company producing for the US market. Without the political and financial support of the Obama Adminstration, TESLA would have gone under and most likely will disappear with the Trump Administration's growing support of the Oil Industry which is hostile to EVs. This is why Elon Musk is talking with Chinese authorities to setup manufacturing plants to produce TESLA EVs for the Chinese market for the simple reason that without China, TESLA will simply go out of business in the next few years.

One last thing I want to point out is that EVs need ELECTRIC POWER, lots of it. But China has already committed to building POWER PLANTS to supply ELECTRIC POWER to high-speed trains as well as electric vehicles. So China has all the pieces of the EV puzzle: market, industry, technology and infrastructure. And that's why I think the TESLA has a good chance of succeeding in China but not in the USA.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.